Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

S60 Headlight Adjustment

Old 12-09-2008, 07:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S60 Headlight Adjustment

Hi all - I'm hoping someone can help me with headlight adjustemnts.

I am trying to adjust one headlight downwards, - Having turn the adjustment screw, the light has moved down, but has reached the end of its adjustment and can go no further. On top of this, having reached the end of the adjustment, the adjustment dial inside the car has no effect on lowering the headlight (as it is already in its lowest position)

To get the full range of adjustment, I need to move the adjusting screw to the centre of its adjustment, then mechanically adjust the headlight mounting
chassis so that the light is set correctly.

This all sounds confusing, but does anyone know how to adjust the headight mounting chassis with out using the (servo) headlight adjustment screw? or alternatively, does anyone know where I can get an assembly diagram for the headlights?

Many thanks

Old 12-09-2008, 07:55 AM
Administrator
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
Default RE: S60 Headlight Adjustment

Sounds like the metal is bent like it was in a accident. You might need to get something worked in there to pull the metal radiator support some.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:52 AM

I have checked, there is no damaged to the headlight area at all. I think the problem is that the head light is set right at the bottom of its adjustment and so cannot adjust move the light down any further. I haven't treid turning the screw any further as it seems to have reached itd endstop.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Something must be off somehow since it won't go any lower.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:00 AM

I can adjust the headlight back up again and down, also when I am adjusting it down, it does continue to move until the screw stops turning. Should the screw continue to turn?

Old 12-09-2008, 11:04 AM
Administrator

No it should not turn anymore it is at its bottom limit.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:50 PM

I need to adjust my headlights badly. I have regular lights, not Xenon. The original post here said something about an adjustment inside the car, but I take that to be a mistake, or perhaps it is something cars here in North America don't have - I can't imagine such a thing. In any case, I opened up the hood and saw that there were access holes to some sort of plastic screws at the headlights. It looked like some type of special tool would be required. Then I looked at my VADIS manual and saw that I am supposed to remove some sort of cover on the left front part of the engine compartment, and use a 6mm hex wrench.

link to headlight adj image

How, exactly do I adjust vertical. Any tips, info?

Old 12-13-2008, 07:08 AM
Administrator

The one under the cover should adjust the vertical.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:21 PM

Well I think I got it and didn't have to remove any cover. There is a hole in the radiator cover that is obviously there to access the plastic hex "screw" (about 6mm) that sticks up vertically. I have a mini socket set, and one of my inch-based sockets fit it pretty well. I have about a 7" extension for it, and it reached in there nicely. When you turn that little screw, it causes the other, bigger weird looking screw to turn as well. This adjusted the vertical, but I still wouldn't know how to adjust the horizontal.

By the way, if you are adjusting the headlights yourself, keep in mind that the headlight closest to oncoming traffic should be aimed to strike the center of the road in front of you. The headlight on the other side, should cover the right side of the lane, and overlap a little to the outside (so you can see the side line in fog, presumably). Just don't aim the things to far (up) to hit the eyes of the oncoming drivers.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:59 AM

On my Volvo, the hex adjustment can be reached by hand and can be turned by hand without a hex socket. Also, regards the original post about an "adjustment inside the car" - this is not a mistake, there is a thumb wheel for lowering the lights when carrying heavy loads. Many thanks to all those that have replied!