Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

S60 Exhaust and ECM

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S60 Exhaust and ECM

Hey everyone, Ive got a 2002 s60 2.4T. I have got 800 dollars to work with. I want to know is it better to save a little more and get the IPD computer upgrade and that will be it with the volvo. Or option two is to get the Speedtuning USA or Upsolute chip..(which one is better..s70driver i kno u have ST USA but i saw you had to reprogram it or something)and a custom downpipe with a catback exhaust with a magnaflow muffler. I want to go with option 2 but i want to know what will be more worth it. My other question manly goes to s70Driver because i see he has said the most about this. I know a very good local muffler shop that will make me a catback but I mean do i just say make me a downpipe too. Like is there cats or other things i will need in the stock down pipe that might trip my 02sensors if it is removed. Basically what do i need to ask for specifically. Should I use a generic High flow cat instead (from ebay). And what kind of magnaflow muffler is good..or are they all the same just the shape of them is different? AND lastly i know from reading to use a 3" downpipe but should i go with 3" cat back or 2.5". Which would be better?

thanks a lot to all,

-josh

Old 02-22-2007, 06:56 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: S60 Exhaust and ECM

This is what I suggest...

1. I suggest that you save up more money for the IPD ECU upgrade. It will be money well spent. The SpeedTuning USA and Upsolute upgrades are ok, but they are for people that mostly just want a kick in the pants type deal. People who wont be upgrading to better things will usually go with the SpeedTuning USA or Upsolute upgrades. I went with SpeedTuning USA because there was a GroupBuy and I don't truly plan to do much more. Other then a downpipe and a catback system.

Yes I did have to get my ECU redone by SpeedTuning USA. It was because when Volvo did the new ETM software upgrade it wiped out my upgraded ECU from SpeedTuning USA. So I drove down to Oliver's place and had him redo it for me.

2. For the downpipe and exhaust I do suggest going local. Why? It will more then likely save you money. Why spend $795 on just a downpipe when a local muffler shop could make you a downpipe and catback system for that price or a little more. Not saying that it wont be more, but even if they charge you lets say $1000. That still is less then $795+ for a downpipe and at least $300+ for a catback system.

I would walk into your local muffler shops. First tell them you would like a downpipe and a catback exhaust made for you. Two ask them if they can mandrel bend. In a turbocharged car you want most free flowing exahust system so a mandrel bent system will flow better then a crushbent system. If they mandrel bend great if not look elsewhere. So if they do say you want a 3" mandrel bent downpipe to a 2.5" mandrel bent catback system with a free flowing muffler like Magnaflow. Or any other straight through design muffler. A muffler with baffles is no good. Like I said before more free flowing the better. You should also get a high flow CAT like a Magnaflow. They will need to put bungs into the system for the stock O2 sensors. So tell them to put the new bungs approximately where the old ones were at on the OEM system.

3. For $800 your not going to get an ECU upgrade and a performance downpipe and catback system. Just wont happen. Volvo performance or anything aftermarket for Volvo's is not cheap. You will spend that $800 just on the IPD ECU upgrade and then at least another $800 for a 3" downpipe to a 2.5" catback system. So I suggest you save up at least another $800 to $1000.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: S60 Exhaust and ECM

Looks like S70Driver just nailed it!