Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Service Vs. Engine System

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 11:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Vs. Engine System

I have a 2001 S60 2.4T, and my "Engine System Service Required" warning on the left message screen has been coming on and going off for about a week now. I called my dealer and he said it is because I have not had my 52,500 service performed. Well, I have my routine work done at my mechanic (oil change, filter, etc.) and I know how to reset the "service" light (right hand side) by using the odometer trick. The dealer tech kept saying that the lefthand engine message is related to the service intervals. I am at about 56K and will have my 60K major service performed by Volvo - but I am crazy or is he wrong? I am dropping it off Thursday for them to take a look, but he still gave me the impression that I don't know what I am talking about. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Also, I don't really feel or hear any problems - the only thing I have noticed is that about twice a week or so, it feels as if the transmission slips when accelerating from a stop or in a turn (not turbo lag). Probably not related?

Old 04-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Default RE: Service Vs. Engine System

Sounds like your both talking about the oil change service light. Perhaps I don't understand, but if you know how to reset it, why don't you do it? I would not think any transmission problems were related.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:55 PM

It wasn't the oil change service light, this was the "engine system service required" message that goes with the orange warning icon. Well, I took the car into the dealer and it was diagnosed as "turbocharger (TC) control valve" and "solenoid valve" and they replaced it under warranty. That was one week ago.

Tonight, the same "engine system service required" light comes on. In my frustrations, I searched the Internet and found someone who said that this could be caused by scheduled maintenance (the light goes on and off every day or so). It reminded me that when I bought this car, it had 27K on it and the dealer performed the 30K service as part of the deal. I am now at 57K. Could this be a reminder to perform the 60K service?

Thanks for any advice!

Old 04-20-2007, 03:45 AM

if it was service, wouldnt a service light light up on the right side only?