Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Volvo S60 I, Engine works unsteady, Dashboard blank

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 01:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Volvo S60 I, Engine works unsteady, Dashboard blank

Hy Folks,
My Volvo S60, 2001, 2.4 engine, has issued a major problem since i changed the Generator. Doesnt mean it was the case, but it started there. The car runned till yet only 100.000 km.
After the change the Battery went down. Cable and connetcion checked, all cleaned. Loading voltage at 14 V. As should be.
Dashboard gone Off, sometimes. Relay FMA 2 gots tricky hot. The change not solved the issue.
After the Battery change (still the original 1st Battery) the engine went ballistic. Throttle Valve was not controllable anymore (open and close unregular without using gaspedal), no communication to its sensors anymore.Coldstart and the after time running circle changed RPM between 1500 and 3000! Gaspedal is blind. Incectors wrongly managed, fuel quantity not correct.

Yesterday we deleted evry Fault massage out of the computer. No change!

Anybody any Idea??? Mechanic now starts with relaydiagramms and involved sensors checks.

What i can figure out is that Dashboard is responsible for running control on the Engine? Think not. Engine Compartment fuse Box (Front at Motor) does it through all Relais.
My opinion that all issues run through this Fuse Box. Its a MAIN Controlling Box.... or should be...

Thankx in advance.

Old 08-11-2021, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

A bit confused. Have you replaced/tested the battery? When you replaced the alternator, I assume you also replaced the voltage regulator? Have you tested for system voltage during a drive? Its conceivable to me that the voltage regulator may be dumping current (a feature to avoid overcharging the battery) but does so in a way that the voltage drops below 12V which can cause computer fault codes. Did you note what codes were set prior to deleting? Did any reset?

Old 08-12-2021, 12:29 AM

I never seen somethig like that aswell. Battery and Voltage check has been done before. 1 day the car was in use, and the Battery failed. I noticed that is was still the first Battery since Building this Volvo. Yes, good points to check. Thankx Pal.
But when you turn on the Ignition, not the Motor, communication between some Parts and Sensor is failing, since Battery change. That is very much confusing.

All codes has been deleted, yes. Most of it was caused because by low electricity for a moment, before Battery change. Main processes only, but should disapear afterwards, but it looked worse.
And after this, without starting the engine, first was that the Throttle Valve went Balistic. No communication with his two sensors for controll (2pcs). Gaspedal function with no controll since aswell.

Checked will be:
Voltage regulator, could be that you are absolutly right!
Main relais in the Main Fuse Box in Front, all others after them are just Part functional.
All cable conection to and from the engine. Just to be sure....

I have checked all 60A Main Volvo fuse underneath the Main Fuse Box. No oxidations, loose screws, burning marks from heat.....

To the Volvo age of 20 years, the Engine original footage is not even 100.000km. Any mail function should be connection isues, points and/or old electric Parts. Consumption is on a very low level.

Next week the car will be under Mechanic hands and follow all function communications during ingnition.
Old Battery (Volvo Co.) had 520A, new one is by 540A.

Thankx Dude....

Old 08-22-2021, 12:45 PM

Good Evening everybody.
Camed out that the Throttlevalve has given up. Its receiving voltage but cannot work accordingly. So this need to be repaired for 300€.
After this we will see forward.
The thing thaht people say engine Main functions goes to the Dashboard is wrong at Volvo for 100%. All Main funtions controll and managing happens through the first fusebox in front at the Motorstation.
All Failfunction codes in the System was caused because the battery was already 20 years old. and it had given up with the throttlevalve in the same time. So abs/Srs .... hadn`t the voltage needed and pulled the failure.