Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

T5 or bust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T5 or bust?

Hey guys,

I've been browsing this forum alot (and searching alot) but I still can't find the differences between the T5 and the 2.5T, or really, a break down comparing the two. Perhaps I'm not searching correctly, but I just havent found a good comparison between the two.

I'm looking for a new vehicle to replace my 78 BMW 320i. It's down to the volvo s60 and the Lexus IS300. I want a fun to drive vehicle that I can hold on to for 5+ years without spending an arm and a leg maintaining it. I know the S60 can be a bit touchy, but at the same time, I dont think I'll be putting it in the shop once a month. Plus I love volvos so that is giving it alot of sway.

I *think* the difference between the 2.5T and the T5 is that the T5 has a larger turbo. Are there any other differences? What I want to ask is if anyone has "settled" for a 2.5T under the T5 and regretted it. Or perhaps the 2.5T is a great car as well.

What are the pros and cons between the vehicles?

For instance, I found this 2004 s60 with manual (http://austin.craigslist.org/ctd/1848160744.html), which is super, super rare. I almost want to pull the trigger, but I think it'd be best if I knew the differences between the two models and make a more informed decision.

I understand yall probably get this question alot, but I really did search all weekend for a breakdown between the two vehicles and I just wasnt finding anything. I appreciate your help, truly.

Edit: Also, my budget is 10-12k. But I can be persuaded to spend more for a good car. What years are the "best" for volvo s60, understanding I dont wanna spend too much money. Were there any "trouble years" for the s60? Any years to avoid?

Last edited by jaredmac11; 07-18-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:45 PM

Hi,

Like you mentioned, the T5's have a bigger turbo which gives them about 50 HP more than the basic S60 for that year. I believe the T5 sits an inch lower and it has 235/45/17 wheels stock vice the 205's on a normal S60. T5's also have more options as standard and a few cosmetic differences.

As for the S60 you are looking at, I would avoid it. Notice how the airbox is connected directly to the the intake manifold. This means it is a basic 2.4l, naturally aspirated, with about 170 HP under the hood. That's about 88HP less than the 2004 T5. It also appears to not have a few options installed (definitely not loaded like the title claims), but that is personal preference. The mileage seems a bit high for a 2004 and you would probably have to do the 105k mile service within the year, which goes for about $800 (In my area). If you DIY, then you're looking at $300-$400. IMO, the only thing is has going for it is the manual transmission.

I guess I am trying harder to stop you from buying that car on CL than explain the differences between the models...

So, your best bet for a fun car would be the T5 or one of those elusive R's. Don't forget to take a look at the V70!

Old 07-18-2010, 08:58 PM

Would I run in to more maintenance issues with a larger turbo? I know turbo charged vehicles, in general, can be more expensive in the long run for maintenance issues. As nice as 50HP sounds, I'd rather get a weaker engine if I could hold on to my car longer. I'll just have to test drive them both and figure it out.

Really good information though. I didnt know there was a non turbo for the s60.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:45 AM

As for routine service, the only difference is an inspection of the crankcase ventilation done at 105k and every 45k miles or so thereafter. There are more air/vacuum hoses and oil lines from which a leak may occur, but your main concern would be a failure of the turbo itself. With regular oil changes and proper warm-up/cool-down, it should last a long time, but there is always a chance that something could go wrong. You could stop by your local independent Volvo shop and ask them how many turbos they've had to change over the years or just see if anyone who has had problems posts in this thread.

A couple years of browsing Volvo forums and some personal experience tell me that some electronics and and the Geartronic transmissions may give you a bigger headache than the turbo.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:27 AM

ikey is spot on. Up until the 'R' the T5 was the big daddy. Because AWD systems are power robbing the T5 was FWD only, and a sad byproduct being torque steer. In early models like mine (2002), the engine was the smallest displacement (2.3L) but was called a 'HPT' (High Pressure Turbo) and made the most power of the three turbo engines, the 2.5L and 2.4L were known as 'LPT' (Low Pressure Turbo). I cannot speak for the 2.4L and 2.5L but the 2.3L (T5) was/is very dependable if you find one that was loved. I was blessed with a very well kept T5. Later in the S60's life the 2.3L would lay down and leave the line-up and the 2.5L became the T5's power plant.
Sadly I do have the Geartronic trans and I tell you, its the only thing on this car I dislike. Its moody and can behave great one day and a hard shifting ***** the next. ikey again hits the head on the nail, the Geartronic is of more concern than the turbo. Enough of that though...

As for dependability of turbo models the turbo 'should' not be an issue. Even hard ran turbos on T5's are the Mitsubishi TD04's which are liquid cooled and oil cooled and can take quite a beating. Buying from a dealer is tough cause you don't know who owned it, buy private and you can at least get an idea of how the owner treated it...not to discriminate but an older crowd tends to take care of their cars and not abuse them.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 07-24-2010, 01:32 AM

Oh! And a couple more things...the T5 (before the R) was the top-of-the-line model so yes they did come with more options than other S60's. The T5's also had larger wheels like ikey mentioned and they had sport tuned suspension. Meaning that the ride leaned towards a stiffer ride via better dampening struts.