Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Thinking of buying a 2002 S60

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying a 2002 S60

Hey everyone! I'm contemplating buying a S60 with an automatic transmission for 2000$. It has 142k and looks extremely well maintained. I'm actually going to see it in person tomorrow and decide if I want to buy it.

I'm more familiar with Honda, Ford or VW/Audi myself. I know with the German cars, timing belts /chains tend to go at 120k, and its good to check for rust under the panels and on the struts etc.

But I'm not really sure what to look got on the S60.

So ultimately, what should I look out for, do you think that the 2002 S60 is a reliable daily or its it notorious for problems and is it recommended to take it to a mechanic to check over it, or would most of the problems be able to be found by me?

Thanks!

Old 12-16-2015, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Besimtar
Hey everyone! I'm contemplating buying a S60 with an automatic transmission for 2000$. It has 142k and looks extremely well maintained. I'm actually going to see it in person tomorrow and decide if I want to buy it.

I'm more familiar with Honda, Ford or VW/Audi myself. I know with the German cars, timing belts /chains tend to go at 120k, and its good to check for rust under the panels and on the struts etc.

But I'm not really sure what to look got on the S60.

So ultimately, what should I look out for, do you think that the 2002 S60 is a reliable daily or its it notorious for problems and is it recommended to take it to a mechanic to check over it, or would most of the problems be able to be found by me?

Thanks!
The automatic transmissions seem to be problematic, there are some stickies regarding common issues and recommended repairs. All around though, the rest of the car is fairly solid, I recently picked up a 2001 S60 and the only issue thus far is the transmission.
Of course do a thorough inspection and definitely double check if the timing belt has been serviced properly.

Old 12-16-2015, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Cdubbs
The automatic transmissions seem to be problematic, there are some stickies regarding common issues and recommended repairs. All around though, the rest of the car is fairly solid, I recently picked up a 2001 S60 and the only issue thus far is the transmission.
Of course do a thorough inspection and definitely double check if the timing belt has been serviced properly.
Yeah I've kind of looked around and I noticed that the transmission and the timing belt seems to be the biggest problems.

Well problem is that he's not sure if the timing belt was done, because it's at 140k and it was bought last year. But he's done a lot of maintenance.

Found out the CEL is on due to a bad speed sensor, so I'm assuming it's a wheel speed sensor lol. But I'm taking an OBD2 scanner to verify, and if all is well, due to the uncertainty surrounding the timing belt, I talked him down to 1400 instead of the 2000 original. I'm guessing the best I can do with the transmission is to see how it shifts and if it can use all gears.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:33 PM

Without documentation of the timing belt, you already know it could be a potential ticking time bomb and you'll be running on borrowed time. It's not a difficult job and the parts kits aren't expensive.
I would go ahead and change it immediately if you purchase the car, I'm assuming if you're a VW/Audi guy you'll find the job to be pretty straight forward.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cdubbs
Without documentation of the timing belt, you already know it could be a potential ticking time bomb and you'll be running on borrowed time. It's not a difficult job and the parts kits aren't expensive.
I would go ahead and change it immediately if you purchase the car, I'm assuming if you're a VW/Audi guy you'll find the job to be pretty straight forward.
Ooh no doubt. Is the timing belt under the engine casing on the S60's? I'll look into it but I don't have the tools to get deep on the engine (on be our audi at least).

I assumed the Volvo would be as difficult and just decided to take it to a mechanic. But if it's easy, I'll do it myself.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Besimtar
Ooh no doubt. Is the timing belt under the engine casing on the S60's? I'll look into it but I don't have the tools to get deep on the engine (on be our audi at least).

I assumed the Volvo would be as difficult and just decided to take it to a mechanic. But if it's easy, I'll do it myself.
Haven't done it myself yet as I totaled my '02 before I got the chance, but the youtube videos make it look fairly straight forward. Recommend replacing the tensioner at the same time and setting the tension is a critical step dependent on temperature so just make sure you know the ambient temp where you are working.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by pkrface
Haven't done it myself yet as I totaled my '02 before I got the chance, but the youtube videos make it look fairly straight forward. Recommend replacing the tensioner at the same time and setting the tension is a critical step dependent on temperature so just make sure you know the ambient temp where you are working.
on FCPEuro's youtube channel they have a decent video tutorial for changing the s60 timing belt. That's the one I referenced to help a friend with his timing belt service.