Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Complete front motor service timing belt, wp, seals, etc

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete front motor service timing belt, wp, seals, etc

I'm not sure if there's anything else I need to replace when I do the timing belt and water pump as far as oil seals. The car has 185k on the original seals. Any info is appreciated

So far I know I have to replace two camshaft seals and the crankshaft seal. I'm going to buy an Aisin (oem) water pump, and volvo seals. I've had bad luck with aftermarket cam, and crank seals over the years so I only use OEM now. I haven't found the crank seal part number yet but I haven't looked hard. I'm surprised there are left and right designated cam seals I guess this is because they use different materials for the intake and exhaust camshafts. Apparently there's also a cam seal on the trans end of the engine.

30731727 timing belt tensioner and idlers
9440651 9458309 9443310 three cam seals
Aisin WPV800

Old 10-31-2017, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 485 Likes on 466 Posts

you didn't mention what year but the parts in play are the two front cam seals (different sizes due to the VVT on the exhaust cam), the front main seal (crank), the tensioner and idlers, water pump, fresh coolant, timing belt and serpentine belt. Elring and Victor Reinz are OEM suppliers for seals. You also have rear cam seals but you don't need to replace at the same time as doing the timing belt. You may also want to feel around for the serpentine belt idlers (particularly if you hear some noise as idle) to see if they are due. I'm guessing your car is around a 2004, which would use PN 6842273 as the front crank seal. Just make sure that you test for positive PCV pressure before assuming you have worn cam seals. A clogged PCV system/oil separator can push the oil past the seals even if they are in reasonably good shape.

Old 11-01-2017, 06:52 PM

It's an '06 s60. The only reason I asked is I saw balance shaft seals for other volvos IIRC. There are no oil leaks but i'm going to replace them when I do the service. If they lasted this long I might as well replace them when i'm in there. If it wasn't an interference engine i'd wait to do the service but it has sixty thousand on a gates kit.

It's interesting that VR is the oem supplier, from my experience out of every company i've bought seals/head sets from they are usually the ones that sell oem seals in their kits, it's good to see it wasn't a coincidence. It's the only company i've seen do this. I realize there are a lot of variables which can result in an improper installation but it was on the same engine platform I used for ten years. Once I found out I could get the obsolete seals in a victor reinz head set I had no issues.

I will research how the pcv system works on this car and service it as well. I've only ever researched and worked on turbo pcv systems on subarus.

Thank You

Old 01-11-2018, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
you didn't mention what year but the parts in play are the two front cam seals (different sizes due to the VVT on the exhaust cam), the front main seal (crank), the tensioner and idlers, water pump, fresh coolant, timing belt and serpentine belt. Elring and Victor Reinz are OEM suppliers for seals. You also have rear cam seals but you don't need to replace at the same time as doing the timing belt. You may also want to feel around for the serpentine belt idlers (particularly if you hear some noise as idle) to see if they are due. I'm guessing your car is around a 2004, which would use PN 6842273 as the front crank seal. Just make sure that you test for positive PCV pressure before assuming you have worn cam seals. A clogged PCV system/oil separator can push the oil past the seals even if they are in reasonably good shape.
I don't know what happened, but I ordered a victor reinz seal from rock auto and they sent me this seal. It does say victo reinz on the packaging somewhere. I truly thought I would get an oem seal. I had to learn the hard way again. I have never had an issue with oem, but aftermarket is a nightmare sometimes.

Attached Thumbnails Complete front motor service timing belt, wp, seals, etc-20180111_203655.jpg   Complete front motor service timing belt, wp, seals, etc-seal.png  

Last edited by free4meS60; 01-11-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:02 AM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

The larger cam seal is for vehicles with a VVT and the smaller one is the older ones without. I do not change any of these seals unless they show signs of leaking. The same rule applies to the water pump.

When doing a timing belt, change the belt, the tensioner and the idler. That's all that is required unless you have leaks.

BTW, if you are going to change the cam seals, then you will need to source the O-rings for the VVT as well. They are only available from a specialty shop and not supplied separately by Volvo.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:11 PM

I've always been in the habit of changing the seals when i'm in there. It is amazing the quality of the seals they use though. I've never seen a seal that pliable with that much mileage on it. Everything is manufactured to a higher standard on this vehicle than what i'm used to.

I got it done today. I used an aisin pump, the gates kit and that damn taiwanese front crank seal. I hope to never have to do cam seals on this car, just because I don't want to buy the cam lock tool. I'm not sure what you mean by specialty shop, but i'm going to search for them just to see how hard the o rings are to find.

Now I have to fix the pcv system. I have smoke coming out of the oil separator for the nipple going to the valve cover. There are no cracked hoses as i'd see the smoke coming from them. When I connect up the valve cover hose there is no visible smoke anywhere, once I disconnect it it's evident. I just drive around with that hose disconnected. I'd imagine that the blockage must be in the line going to the intake pipe.

thanks again