Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

TPMS issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 07:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS issue

All,

TPMS warning is on the last couple of days. No cold temps here- I'm in Central Fla. I checked all pressures and I'm good. For the life of me I can't find a way to reset. Youtube searches show videos of guys using My Car/Settings/ and scrolling to a "tire pressure"option. I don't have that option- no Tire Pressure selection on my menu. Owner's guide only says it will reset after 20-30 miles driven. I've driven twice that and no luck, still getting warning light.

Not sure if it matters but I'm also due for service so "service due" light is on. Planning to get it in this weekend but not likely to a dealer- inconvenient and expensive to go that route.

Would appreciate any tips you may have- thanks in advance!

Old 10-29-2019, 08:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

What year is your car? What are your pressures at?

Old 10-29-2019, 08:45 PM

2014 S60 Pressures are all around 38psi ( slightly over recommended)

thx

Old 10-30-2019, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator
Received 72 Likes on 64 Posts

38 should certainly turn the light off. Is the warning for low tire pressure or does it say Tire Pressure System Service Required?

Was the driving after filling done at lower speeds or higher speeds? Sometimes it takes about 10 to 15 minutes at highway speeds.

Another thing you can try is filling them with the car running. Start the car and lower all tires to around 20 psi. Then fill them back up to 38.

Old 10-30-2019, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by ES6T
38 should certainly turn the light off. Is the warning for low tire pressure or does it say Tire Pressure System Service Required?

Was the driving after filling done at lower speeds or higher speeds? Sometimes it takes about 10 to 15 minutes at highway speeds.

Another thing you can try is filling them with the car running. Start the car and lower all tires to around 20 psi. Then fill them back up to 38.
I have a 2013, and I have to pump my tires to 40 PSI to get the light to turn out.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:49 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Another expensive and marginally useful complication - right up there with electronic oil level read-out instead of a dipstick. How about a simple "walk around and look" before starting out? (In my opinion, persons who can't/won't do this along with those unable to check the oil level, read an oil pressure gauge or ammeter should not be driving)

Old 10-30-2019, 02:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

disagree totally on the value of a TPMS system. A year or so ago I was driving on my way to the airport (JFK in NY so I wasn't always in the best neighborhoods) when my TPMS told me my left rear had gone under 20 PSI. It wasn't a blow out so I was able to monitor the pressure get off I-95 to stop for a refill and drove on. Did a 2nd refill closer to the airport and parked. I was able to make my flight but knew I'd be changing a flat when I got back as the tire had picked up a screw in the tread. My car happens to use the in-wheel sensing units which as noted may requiring servicing from time to time. Other models (like our Highlander) use the ABS and sense speed difference when suspecting low tire pressure. The in-wheel sensor design lets me see the PSIs in real time which is really nice for maintenance.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:47 PM

I did just this and it worked! Started car, dropped pressure and refilled each on one tire at a time...after 3 tires the TPMS light was off. Might have helped that I over inflated a bit, will wait a day, a full commute, then ease it back down. Truly appreciate the idea sharing!!

Old 10-31-2019, 04:08 AM

This did the trick- all is good now! Thanks for the tip!!!

Old 10-31-2019, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127
disagree totally on the value of a TPMS system. A year or so ago I was driving on my way to the airport (JFK in NY so I wasn't always in the best neighborhoods) when my TPMS told me my left rear had gone under 20 PSI. It wasn't a blow out so I was able to monitor the pressure get off I-95 to stop for a refill and drove on. Did a 2nd refill closer to the airport and parked. I was able to make my flight but knew I'd be changing a flat when I got back as the tire had picked up a screw in the tread. My car happens to use the in-wheel sensing units which as noted may requiring servicing from time to time. Other models (like our Highlander) use the ABS and sense speed difference when suspecting low tire pressure. The in-wheel sensor design lets me see the PSIs in real time which is really nice for maintenance.
Granted there may be rare situations such as this when the system has value but I have never encountered one. I have, OTOH, had 3 instances of "false alarms" like those related above. A reasonable idea perhaps but one that is "not ready for prime time." A walk-around after a trip on the notoriously pot holed Ohio Turnpike did reveal two tires with obvious side wall bulges.

Old 11-01-2019, 05:44 PM
Default Sooooo predictable

First cold night last night - start up car today and there it is - TPMS signal and check tires message with a little car symbol and 4 little lights, one at each tire -

Checked pressures 37# cold all around (not surprising, car was serviced 2 days ago)

It's the "boy who called "wolf" once too often" problem. Good idea - poor implementation