Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Transmission issue - Engine revs, car does not move

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission issue - Engine revs, car does not move

After my last service at Volvo (they changed a thermostat and did the usual service), my tranny was making an odd whirr sound when revving, especially going downhill.

Yesterday I got stuck while driving, as my tranny basically refused to engage, first it was engaging slightly, as if slipping, and I had to rev the engine high to get it to move.

I managed to safely park it on the side of the road. As I was in a dicey situation, with the emergency lights on, I waited a few minutes with the engine off, and managed to get the car to move, but the slipping issue happened again.

This was yesterday Saturday afternoon, the Volvo dealership was closed, I had the car towed to their location.

I hope this is electronics-related, maybe a sensor not returning data to the computer, who knows? Of course I hope this is not mechanical.

This is a 2002 S60 2.4T and the extended warranty expired in June.

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-31-2010, 08:05 PM

How many miles on your car? Check the level of your transmission fluid on the dipstick. If the level is too low it would not build enough pressure and the transmission will sleep. Be aware though that a level too high is not good either and will make the tranny act weird. While you check the level look at the color of the fluid. If it looks dark the fluid needs to be changed. I would try changing the fluid before concluding that the transmission is toasted. I have often seen transmissions being revived by just replacing the fluid. Make sure to use the right ATF though. Use either Mobil 3309, Toyota T-IV or the Volvo fluid. There are all the same but you will pay the Volvo fluid about twice as much as the others. DON'T put any other ATF in your tranny. Change the fluid yourself if you are a mechanically inclined or get it changed at a good indy shop but make sure they use the right ATF. Changing the ATF is easy. Get the ATF flush kit from IPD. It comes with the instructions. You will need about 14qts of ATF to do a complete flush. http://www.ipdusa.com/product.asp?st...hStartRecord=1

Old 10-31-2010, 08:14 PM

Thanks!

I am mechanically inclined but since I had it towed to Volvo, I am a bit stuck and have to let them do the work.

Note that last time (2 weeks ago) I told them that there was a bit of slippage once in a while and also a hit, and asked them to check the tranny and the fluid. They said it was all fine.

If they did not and this is happening, then the issue is indeed with the ATF. The car is 90k+ miles by the way. It's got low mileage for a 2002, it belonged to 2 women before, one very old and driving very little the other one my age but with a small commute. Only one cross-country drive at around 40K miles.

I do not think there is a major mechanical issue but if the plates are worn out, then indeed lack of fluid would explain the slippage. And the hotter, the less sticky, tell me if I am right. Which would explain why the car would drive after cooling.

I had noticed my MPG went from mid 26 to mid 24. That could be explain by extra slippage, which would explain the whirring sound.

I hope that a replacement of the ATF is all it takes.

Oh yes, the ATF light came out one day a month ago and disappeared soon. THis may be also linked. No clue if the ATF was even flushed in this car's existence, besides on the boat, as I think they have to.

Old 10-31-2010, 09:40 PM

If the ATF light came out that meant low pressure due to low level or old/burnt ATF. If the ATF has never been changed at 90k (which is quite likely) then this would explain the slippage. Keep us posted with what Volvo said.

Old 10-31-2010, 11:08 PM

I will keep you posted. This car is in great shape except for a broken tail light, minor blemish. I want to keep it running as long as I can. It's a Volvo. Every penny spent is worth it. BUT I don't want a new tranny a bit too early.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:31 PM

According to the Volvo tech, the transmission is coming apart and the transmission itself would be $3601 plus $1035 in labor.

WOW. Errrr... ready to look into other options, here.

Old 11-01-2010, 01:41 PM

Shopping for a used tranny for the Volvo S60 2.4T, what should I look for?

Old 11-01-2010, 03:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't replace tranny yet. 01-02 MY volvos had problems with their tranny. The stop neutral function should be disabled and some B4 servo problem. Search other volvo forums about these tranny prob. bfore replacing.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Manu Noypi
Don't replace tranny yet. 01-02 MY volvos had problems with their tranny. The stop neutral function should be disabled and some B4 servo problem. Search other volvo forums about these tranny prob. bfore replacing.
I have a found a closer shop with a good reviews. I may have the car towed first to my place and see what is going on.

I am waiting on Tech's answer as well.

The Volvo shop claims that replacing the ATF will make things worse.

I think they are full of it. What's your take?

Old 11-01-2010, 03:58 PM

Yes. Replace atf first - complete flush- if possible. Get flush kit from IPD and use JWS 3309 atf (Mobil 1 or Toyota TIV). Then research other forums about tranny prob. on these MY cars.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Manu Noypi
Yes. Replace atf first - complete flush- if possible. Get flush kit from IPD and use JWS 3309 atf (Mobil 1 or Toyota TIV). Then research other forums about tranny prob. on these MY cars.
Ok, what other forums?

These idiots at the dealership let my extended warranty expire without giving a good look and advising working on the tranny.

But I do believe the tranny to be still usable. And the $4676 quote can be beat by a local guy: $1000 maximum for a used tranny and $800 for labor. This would be the worst solution.

Currently waiting for Enterprise to come pick me up.

Oh yeah, on top of that in the middle of divorce, haha don't you love it

Old 11-01-2010, 04:23 PM

Wow, u r in some sort of a diff. situation. Just take it easy and go to matthewsvolvosite.com and browse. Post some questions there and u'll get some answers from the gurus. Don't let those d(st)ealers rip u off.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:32 PM

Sorry to hear about the divorce situation. Went through that 3 years ago and it was painful. I agree with Manu Noypi. Try the ATF flush. If you do it yourself it will cost you about $70 of ATF (14 qts) plus $30 for the IPD flush kit. It is an investment worse making. I did it recently and it is very easy. Flush and refill 2 quarters at a time. Make sure to refill the amount of ATF that you flushed and then adjust the level at the end of the process. Remember that you check your ATF level with the engine running.
I did not take any picture when I did the flush but here is a link that helped me a lot. It is for the Volvo XC but it is the exact same principle for the S60. here is the link http://www.volvoxc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5668
On my 2004 S60 the transmission line look almost identical to the picture at the beginning of the thread. Be careful though that Volvo some time between 2000 and 2003 Volvo changed the direction the ATF flows through the cooling line. Instead of getting out of the radiator side of the upper connector like the pic shows the ATF would get out from the hose. Not sure which way it flows in your car so be careful when you start the process otherwise it could get pretty messy.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:12 PM

Asked a question regarding used tranny that would fit:

https://volvoforums.com/forum/showth...980#post242980

Thanks!

Old 11-06-2010, 02:19 PM

I hate to say this but the 01-02 Volvo S60 are know for these issues and like what was said the Dealer is always looking for the most expensive fix.Thats how they make $$.The Trany flush is a great start and i would also look in to the B4 Servo Cover Update http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S60-P2/T...p-74-405-5211/ Worth a try if not allreay done.Also take a look over at http://forums.swedespeed.com/forum.php this is a nother great Volvo site with a lot of knowledgeable guys.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:49 PM

AzNick - $4676 for a tranny swap? That's more expensive than what I pd. for my 03 2.3T. I got mine in an auction for $4400 and loving it w/ all that power, ride, and performance. Ask the dealer if the stop neutral function on your tranny has been disabled. Better have it done asap so ur tranny won't quit on yu.