Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Transmission service required

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Transmission service required

Volvo S60 2.4t 2001 86000 miles. Yesterday when driving from work I notice there was something strange with the transmission since the changes between gears were a little bit rude. Today the failure got worst, when stopped the car shift gears even with the brakes ON and the "TRANSMISSION SERVICE REQUIRED" and "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT" turned ON. I connected the scanner and got "TCM-0 neutral check, 12B no neutral check” code. I had the transmission fluid replaced 4 months ago, oil color and smell is OK. I was reading all the posts about transmission issues and seems that the issue is related with the control module adaptation but since I am outside the US updating the software for this car is almost not an option (the only Volvo dealer here wants $900 just to update software and no guarantees this will work, I know more about this issue than them). Any advise, will be very helpfull...

Last edited by godzilla138; 03-03-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I do not think there is much at all you can do without the software upgrade.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by godzilla138
Volvo S60 2.4t 2001 86000 miles. Yesterday when driving from work I notice there was something strange with the transmission since the changes between gears were a little bit rude. Today the failure got worst, when stopped the car shift gears even with the brakes ON and the "TRANSMISSION SERVICE REQUIRED" and "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT" turned ON. I connected the scanner and got "TCM-0 neutral check, 12B no neutral check” code. I had the transmission fluid replaced 4 months ago, oil color and smell is OK. I was reading all the posts about transmission issues and seems that the issue is related with the control module adaptation but since I am outside the US updating the software for this car is almost not an option (the only Volvo dealer here wants $900 just to update software and no guarantees this will work, I know more about this issue than them). Any advise, will be very helpfull...
Did you get the fluid changed from a Volvo Dealer? If not, there's a good possibility that the wrong fluid was used in your fluid change which can damage the transmission. Another person posted a problem with his S60 tranny on this forum last month and admitted he used a regular private garage that only charged about $100 for the fluid change. The Genuine Volvo fluid at the Volvo Parts Dept costs about $75 so you know it's suspicious from the get-go. If your fluid is o.k., than you might check other Volvo Dealers in or outside your area to get the price quotes for the software upgrade. We had our V70 software upgraded two years ago (uses same engine and tranny as S60) and it was around $200 I recall, so the $900 seems high.

Last edited by mcleantmw; 03-07-2010 at 08:24 AM. Reason: correction
Old 03-09-2010, 05:42 PM

thanks for the reply,

Just a small explanation, I am located in el salvador central america and we only have 1 volvo dealer here... I got the issue fixed, I changed the oil and errased the code, so far so good I think I will keep testing the car... 6 months ago I changed the oil and I am sure it was the correct oil since I got the oil from the dealer, maybe a mistake here... Thanks a lot for the reply.