Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

turbo

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo

hey guys i have had a 2005 s60r for 2 years or so and i was looking to make it a little faster than it already is. i was just wondering if anyone knows if a GT30 turbo would fit into it.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Some months ago there was a thread or two on this topic. As I recall, the consensus of knowledge was that the expense of making a turbo conversion
exceeded the costs of selling the nonturbo and buying a comparable turbo model. You're not just adding a turbocharger and plumbing, but changing out some sensors, maybe pistons for compression issues, and possibly fuel injectors or at least their electronic brains to spray enough fuel in to the combustion chambers to support that extra air blown in there. Then there may be bushing and even crankshaft issues, timing issues, etc.

Save yourself some headaches and look through the archives here.

BTW, I know nothing except what I've read on this topic, so I'm not the source of knowledge. I'm just a parrot with a questionable memory!

Old 10-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by malaka
Some months ago there was a thread or two on this topic. As I recall, the consensus of knowledge was that the expense of making a turbo conversion
exceeded the costs of selling the nonturbo and buying a comparable turbo model. You're not just adding a turbocharger and plumbing, but changing out some sensors, maybe pistons for compression issues, and possibly fuel injectors or at least their electronic brains to spray enough fuel in to the combustion chambers to support that extra air blown in there. Then there may be bushing and even crankshaft issues, timing issues, etc.
Wait, what????? What do you mean selling it and buying a comparable model car? He has an S60R. The fastest and most tuned, and turbo'd, S60.

I believe that the GT30 does fit, bolt on. The oil/cooler lines won't be plug and play. You will have to do those custom. You will obviously need a new exhaust, and there will be other supporting mods, ie injectors, tune, exhaust, etc. I don't know what the internals are like on the R's and I'm not exactly sure what what kind of turbo the GT30 is, but you may want to consider internals. This is from what I've read and what not, so don't quote me on it.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:28 PM

you would need a hell of a lot to get it there.

Custom tune - intercooler, downpipe, intake, exhaust, injectors blah blah blah

what mods do you have done at this point?

if none start with suspension, then intercooler, then downpipe with tune, intake, exhaust - then you can start thinking big.

Viva sells a kit with a hybrid turbo and tune. Its a bit pricey but it will give you a good idea of where to go with the project.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bender
you would need a hell of a lot to get it there.

Custom tune - intercooler, downpipe, intake, exhaust, injectors blah blah blah

what mods do you have done at this point?

if none start with suspension, then intercooler, then downpipe with tune, intake, exhaust - then you can start thinking big.

Viva sells a kit with a hybrid turbo and tune. Its a bit pricey but it will give you a good idea of where to go with the project.
Meh, I wouldn't do it in that order. If he's at stock right now, it makes no sense to do all those mods with a tune. And then buy the turbo just to have the tune reflashed. And you don't need a tune for any of those mods you put up there.

If your at stock. I would put on an air intake and a 3" turbo back. An air intake and exhaust will give you a nice gain that you will probably like, and maybe not even need the larger turbo. But if you want to do the turbo, you will for sure need injectors and a tune. Intercooler and exhaust are not technically necessary, but HIGHLY recommended.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:13 AM

You are mixing apples and oranges here - he is running an S60R not a 854 Turbo - a good tune will do a TON. You can get a tune with NOTHING else can get 30-40 hp.

That said, the poor intercooler set up on the R is its biggest weak point. Intercooler FIRST if you live in a state that gets over 70 degrees on a regular basis. If you are in a northen state it can wait till spring but I would do it FIRST.

THEN Downpipe and tune - you can do an exhaust at the same time if you want.

Intake you can do whenever but the bang for the buck is terrible - couple hundred bucks for a couple horse power? OR a tune at $1k for 30 - 40 horsepower? The tune has a FAR better return on investment.

That said its all for not if you dont have a good suspension set up so sways are a must.

Wiz - check out the R forum on Swedespeed - it can be a bit intimidating over there but no one mods Rs better than those guys.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:09 AM

The fact that it's an S60 and not an 850 has nothing to do with anything here, a tune will be just as effective on an 850 and an S60R.

If he's getting a bigger turbo,then there's no point in getting a tune before doing the turbo. Because your just going to have to spend another several hundred getting it reflashed to accommodate the turbo and injectors.

If he's running stock, then obviously the intercooler is enough to handle the current power. Adding an exhaust and intake isn't going to cause the intercooler to be infective.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:18 AM

The intercooler already IS ineffective!

The R intercooler is GARBAGE and is the biggest choke point in the entire system. If you were to dyno an R with the stock intercooler in temps over 70 degrees you would get embarrassing results. It is PROVEN.

The point is he is jumping to a bigger turbo, which is a 5k project at least, when for under 2500 you can get excellent performance. The path I laid out is the most proven one to build a modded daily driver out of an R.

I don't want to be a dick, but the advice you are giving is poor at best. You are probably an expert on 850s but the S60s are totally different beasts. You are going to mislead this kid because you don't know what you are talking about. He may be curious about a new turbo, which is good as someday he will get there and it will be bad ***, but to jump to that without ensuring the basic mods are done first (including getting everything out of the current set up as possible) is nuts. Jumping into the deep end without learning how to swim is ridiculous.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said you're just looking for a bit more power right? And probably some thing easy that you can do yourself? WEll try to buy a softloader or something like BSR PPC for your car. I forget who sells them in america but i know someone does. I've dealt with them before and its a great product.

For example your R is about 300hp stock. THe BSR PPC is a garaunteed 50hp. Thats going to be a noticeable jump. Also, then if you decide to upgrade your downpipe afterwards or get a new intercooler, which is really only adequate for stock levels of performance. Then you can do that down the line and retune with the BSR PPC.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by adub96
You said you're just looking for a bit more power right? And probably some thing easy that you can do yourself? WEll try to buy a softloader or something like BSR PPC for your car. I forget who sells them in america but i know someone does. I've dealt with them before and its a great product.

For example your R is about 300hp stock. THe BSR PPC is a garaunteed 50hp. Thats going to be a noticeable jump. Also, then if you decide to upgrade your downpipe afterwards or get a new intercooler, which is really only adequate for stock levels of performance. Then you can do that down the line and retune with the BSR PPC.
Eurosport Tuning Sold them at one time but now EST sells the RICA PPC (which is what I have).

I am not sure if the BSR is available in the US anymore, but the RICA is essentially the same product and I have been thrilled with it.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:57 AM

hey guys thanks for the suport but i just wanted to let u know that my car is completely stock. i also wanted to ask what i would need on top of the GT30 turbo kit if i were to put it in my car. i would also like to know if anyone knew prices of what these things would cost. thanks

Old 10-18-2009, 06:25 PM

you would need a boat load of $$$$$$ to make it right.

intake
downpipe
exhaust
intercooler
CUSTOM tune
injectors
possibly internals depending on what sort of boost you are running

its not a reasonable project if you are stock right now.

Why do you want to jump to that when there are a lot of other options for you to track down?

Old 10-18-2009, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bender
you would need a boat load of $$$$$$ to make it right.

intake
downpipe
exhaust
intercooler
CUSTOM tune
injectors
possibly internals depending on what sort of boost you are running

its not a reasonable project if you are stock right now.

Why do you want to jump to that when there are a lot of other options for you to track down?

+1

How much gain are you looking for ? It might not be necessary to upgrade turbo for what u are looking to gain.