Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Volvo Dealership stressin me out!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo Dealership stressin me out!

So a little background, I have a 2004 s60 R bought it with 35k miles on it in the summer of 2008. I am not what you would consider car savvy, I really enjoy the car but could not do any work on it. I took my car in to have maintenance done on it at the Volvo dealership and have never had any issues until now.

They gave me a list of problems that are becoming an issue of concern, 1) bevel gear is leaking and looseness between gears, rear diff is leaking and looseness between gears; to fix this issue they quoted $7k 2) Front spring seats are torn, front struts are leaking due to torn spring seats quoted $2k to fix 3) I had brakes done by someone I trust(ed), front brake rotors are wrong size, needs pads and rotors; which I am going to talk to the person who did them for me.

They told me the issue was probably caused because I have 3 old tires on the car and one new one. Now this has only been since the first Saturday of 2010, I had a tire get shredded from a pot hole, took it in to get 2 new tires the had to order one in and I was planning on having it put on this weekend. I find it hard to believe this issue has developed over the past 3 weeks.

Now when I talked to the person in the service department at the dealership he didn’t even say anything about having it get repaired there, he just told me “to be honest, I would get rid of the car asap!” But is this honest opinion coming from him knowing the cost or the mechanic who is trying to earn a buck? I have had friends told this before by dealers and their car has lasted 5 more years. I am just stuck in this decision situation and it is stressing me out. I am going to get a second opinion probably even a third. I love the car and can’t tell any difference in the driving. I would hate to part with it but can’t lose out on that much money.

Also are there any things I should watch for. I mean I park it in the same place on a consistent basis and there no leak spots and everything seems to run smooth? Any help would be great and any mechanics in Northern Utah you would recommend would be awesome. Let me know if you need anymore info.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:16 PM

Dealerships, umm..I mean stealerships will always try to rob you of money. That's what they do. Take your car to a small, independant import mechanic who has good reviews, or an independant Volvo mechanic if you can find one and get a second opinion. Even if you need those things repaired, the cost of the parts and labor will be way cheaper than what the dealer quoted you.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:54 PM

IT does sound like those problems are legit issues, they are VERY common R problems. The prices don't sound too far off... The leak doesn't show up on the ground, would just show on the seal.

Tire didn't cause the issue, probably has been hanging out for a while.

R's are expensive cars.

He didn't want you to have it repaired there because its a huge job and he doesn't want to deal with it.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:59 PM

yes, I too agree that the service writer doesn't want the hastle... However, I bet an independent Volvo show will have it fixed in no time for a hassle of the time! I would skip the Stealership and go for the Indie for $500

Old 01-29-2010, 01:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard great things about this guy in Orem. He might be able to get you in touch a bit further north in your area.
http://www.roysautoservice.org/index.html

Old 01-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$2000 to replace struts and strut mounts?

Run Forest run... $129 per strut Volvo genuine, Strut mount $52 per, alignment $40
Time to do each side 1 hours max for even me.

Brakes: R rotors about $110 ea., pads $ 55 for two wheels. Very easy job. 1/2 hours each side. Genuine Volvo parts

You do the math. Buy the parts, find a cheaper mechanic than $120 per hour dealerships. It takes NO special skills to do the struts.

Get a second opinion on bevel gear and rear end. Search for answers on Volvospeed or swedespeed. They have a lot of very talented guys who know about this and can suggest places to have the car looked at in your area.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:49 AM

Thank you all very much for the help, taken away alot of the stress knowing I somewhat have some options. Looks like the price is about half of what I was told if not even less. My question for you guys is, do I tell the independent dealer before hand what I was told or just have him run maintenance and see what he says, then bring it up after? When I do go in I will take someone who knows more car "lingo" to help me out in case there are things I don't understand.

Mad Matt-that place looks perfect for what I am needing on a second opinion plus it is close to where I am at.

FredMc-thanks for those specifics on prices, I have posted on a number of forums, including the ones you mentioned.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by FredMc
$2000 to replace struts and strut mounts?

Run Forest run... $129 per strut Volvo genuine, Strut mount $52 per, alignment $40
Time to do each side 1 hours max for even me.
R struts... more like $500 each for OEM...
then you have calibration and all that stuff. 2k is not bad for a dealer BUT certainly could be less elsewhere.

Last edited by Bender; 01-29-2010 at 01:21 PM.