Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

5min ago - Smoke, burnt smell, dash stopped working, Fuse#24 poppped - Please Help Me!

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5min ago - Smoke, burnt smell, dash stopped working, Fuse#24 poppped - Please Help Me!

Hey guys,

I was on my way to work in my 2002 S60 AWD 2.4T when I noticed a funny smell in my car, smelled like something plastic burning. I had just installed new exhaust yesterday and thought it was oil burning off, however it smelled like electronics and I then noticed a whisp of smoke come from the vent by the driver's door. Then I heard a click and the dash shut off, no gauges no lights on shifter, no turn signals. I checked the fuses and fuse #24 was blown, this labeled Climate Control, Instrument Clusters, Power Seat Driver. I did put a new fuse in and it popped right away.
What am I supposed to do here? I am pretty sure something is wrong with my either my dash, my climate control or my seat. How would i determine what is causing this problem.
Am I correct to suspect a short? Any common shorts in these cars? Please help me as I am kind of freaking out here, this is my DD and I need this car to get to work.
I do have an extended warranty fir the car which included electronics.
Thank you for any help or input.

UPDATE:
Okay so I checked under the dash for any obvious damage or burnt wires and everything that i saw looked fine.I just attempted to install a new fuse after having the car off for a while and this time the fuse didn't blow and all of the gauges and everything are working but I have a message being displayed in the dash now.The message reads: SRS AIRBAG SERVICE URGENT.So what is going on here? Did the airbag system burn up and trip my fuse or did the fuse blowing mess up the airbag system?I'm really hoping someone will be able to chime in and shed some light on this.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:17 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: 5min ago - Smoke, burnt smell, dash stopped working, Fuse#24 poppped - Please Help Me!

You might have to get all the systems read to find out where to start.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Default RE: 5min ago - Smoke, burnt smell, dash stopped working, Fuse#24 poppped - Please Help Me!

It seems to me that some component for the airbag system got fried in the dash and ended up taking the fuse with it. The car smelled funny for a few minutes before the fuse blew and fuses don't smell that bad when they blow. I'm talking to a Volvo shop about getting it in there to have the codes read and see what happened.

I have taken in for a 20 min ride since putting the new fuse in and there was no hinty of any trouble, the burning smell didn't come back and everything seems fine except for the SRS message in the dash.
Do you think it's okay to drive the car around in the mean time?

Old 11-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Administrator

I would think it would be fine.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:17 PM

How long do you think it should take to do some preliminary diagnostics if you have the right scanners for the SRS system? I'm talking to the shop and they seem to want to keep the car for a while, I was hoping for a quick scan and report of what was damaged/shorted and an estimate for a repair.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:24 PM
Administrator

A scan should give them a quick Idea of how bad it is or how far they need to look.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:29 PM

Okay tech, thanks a lot for your input. I appreciate it man.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Administrator

No problem anytime.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:27 PM

What do you think about this:

Somebody offered a guess that maybe my fan speed controller is what went went bad and that is what caused the fuse to blow, when the fuse blew the climate center lost power and that is what triggered the SRS message.

I have read many threads about SRS messages coming up when people are messing with the Climate center or stereo, typically unplugging the connectors without disconnecting the battery.

I'm just trying to get an idea of what is the most likely cause for what I experienced, do you it more likely that something with the air bags actually went bad and caused the fuse to blow or do you think that there was indeed some type of problem within the climate center and that is the root cause here, of both the fuse blowing and the resultant SRS message.

I'm thinking the fuse blew for a reason, and knowing that the SRS message is often associated with climate center, I'm wondering if that somebody was on the right track.

Old 11-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Administrator

The SRS light can come on from any system.
But it is very possible that something in the climate system caused it.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:46 PM

Hello
I had the same problem with my 2002 s60 2.4 not turbo
And i have taken a look and pulled all fuses theres all fine
Stil don't have anything working in the climate control cluster
Even did the pull contacts from battery and tryed to reset cars system.
Still have same message srs air bag along with bulb failure position lights
Don't no where to begin