Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Weird sound when accelerating and turning

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird sound when accelerating and turning

Hi! So I bought a 2002 Volvo s60 2.4t for my first car. It needed a new fuel pump, spark plugs, tires, ignition coils, bumper, left headlight, and now something else. I got the car running and driving but noticed on acceleration it makes a clunk noise coming from the center of the engine bay almost. I thought it was the driver well but my hearing isn't that great. The sound also occasionally happens when turning. A single sometimes double clunk. I'm not a mechanic by any means yet. This car has made me want to go to college to be a tech and I really hope it's nothing too expensive. I thought it was the transmission torque mount so was planning to replace all the motor mounts to be proactive, but I'm not the most financially inclined to buy stuff I don't really NEED at the moment on the car. I have a video, and it made the sound a couple of times. The video is only a minute long I appreciate any help anyone can give. I also cannot get the car to a mechanic so ill end up doing all the work myself. The sound happens first at 25 seconds in the video roughly.

Old 12-22-2020, 07:25 AM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

All the engine mounts and the transmission mount are fairly easy to replace. You can check your tranny mount without taking it off the car, see if you can move it up and down very easily while its on the car. When i replaced mine, my old one was like a limp sausage, while the new one while like a senior right off the blue pill. You can also check the top mount that attaches to the crossmember over the engine, easy to inspect and replace as well. Both fairly inexpensive. The front and rear motor mount have a cable going around them, you can give them the ole reach around to see if that cable is really lose, if so, replacement will be needed.

Another thing I could think of was maybe the rzeppa joint losing its grease and wearing itself out due to a torn cv boot. A worn rzeppa would cause a noise on initial movement of the car and possibly during turning. Could also be your tie rods, mainly the outers, but its good to replace both.

All these things would require you to inspect the parts, I wouldnt just throw parts at it.