Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/)
-   -   1999 S70 Front Dics & Pads! (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/1999-s70-front-dics-pads-91280/)

alam 01-24-2017 09:42 PM

1999 S70 Front Dics & Pads!

Greetings! is that time of the life of my trusty S70! I have always used Volvo OEM disks & pads from FPC G - does anyone suggest something of better better quality/performance for roughly the same $$$

Thanks!

alam

mt6127 01-25-2017 09:38 PM

I just did my 00 S40 this past summer and opted for the Bosch pads but I've stuck with OEM on my 95 850T. The question of performance is really about choosing between the different compounds - Organic pads (OEM / Genuine Volvo) have the best feel during in town driving with the down side of dust. The semi metallics like the Bosch take a bit more pressure for initial bite but throw less dust and have a bit more fade resistance (ie repeated braking coming down a mountain), plus they wear the rotors faster (not a problem for me as I usually replace the rotors each time I do pads). Ceramics throw even less dust and work better as they warm up - but also feel firmer. Given the S40 is a light car, the firmness is actually welcomed. On the 850, I like the feel at low speed where you don't have to press too hard to get a light bite. Note to compare pricing on FCP, the Bosch semi-metallic fronts for the S70s go for $32, OEM Volvo go for $55 and ceramic Akebonos go for $60. As to the discs, I pretty much stay with Brembo or Zimms.

alam 01-26-2017 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127 (Post 442609)
I just did my 00 S40 this past summer and opted for the Bosch pads but I've stuck with OEM on my 95 850T. The question of performance is really about choosing between the different compounds - Organic pads (OEM / Genuine Volvo) have the best feel during in town driving with the down side of dust. The semi metallics like the Bosch take a bit more pressure for initial bite but throw less dust and have a bit more fade resistance (ie repeated braking coming down a mountain), plus they wear the rotors faster (not a problem for me as I usually replace the rotors each time I do pads). Ceramics throw even less dust and work better as they warm up - but also feel firmer. Given the S40 is a light car, the firmness is actually welcomed. On the 850, I like the feel at low speed where you don't have to press too hard to get a light bite. Note to compare pricing on FCP, the Bosch semi-metallic fronts for the S70s go for $32, OEM Volvo go for $55 and ceramic Akebonos go for $60. As to the discs, I pretty much stay with Brembo or Zimms.

Thanks! Wish I seen your post before ordering - I decided going OEM Volvo all around! Thanks again!

aa

mt6127 01-26-2017 02:12 PM

Personally for the S70, I think that going Genuine Volvo is the best choice - similar to what I've done on my 850.

rspi 02-13-2017 10:23 AM

If you don't like warped rotors, go OEM.

alam 02-14-2017 10:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I was surprised to see in the label where these are made! :-(

rspi 02-16-2017 10:09 AM

Yes it is scary, however, they still should be to the Volvo spec quality.