Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/)
-   -   240k t5 oil leak (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/240k-t5-oil-leak-88811/)

Gates47 06-11-2016 06:57 PM

240k t5 oil leak

I just got my 1998 S70. Very very well maintained. 1 owner. I have all the maintenance records it is incredible shape. Engine is quiet. Transmission was just replace by volvo for me. It is not the rear main seal leaking. It's dripping pretty good. I saw a spot every ten feet from when I backed out of the driveway around 5mph. I took a preemptive strike and bought the 0 ring for the oil return to the turbo but I can't stop thinking about it and I wanted some ideas on other places it may be leaking in its state. It leaks when it's running and when I park it drops fall inside a ten inch radius scattered. Any responsible will help. If I'm prob right about the return line then reassure me.

Thank you

firebirdparts 06-11-2016 08:03 PM

Based on my experience I would say if it's engine oil, they tend to leak from the oil cooler lines, the cam seals, and the crank seals. It's pretty easy to narrow down of course based on where the oil is falling out, but final diagnosis may take some cleaning, careful observation, that sort of thing. If it's coming out from under the timing cover that makes it harder to see which one is the culprit.

mt6127 06-11-2016 09:09 PM

Yep. I'd start by popping off the timing belt cover and see if its dry inside. Then pull off the spark plug cover - any oil up there would suggest a clogged PCV (you want to fix that as it can cause pressure that can push out the seals). I'd add to the possibility list - wet by the distributor? check rear cam seals. turbo? oil return line at the turbo and the block (this can make a mess). front side could be the cooler lines, dip stick, filler cap. Also check the oil filter/filter housing. Finally, check the oil pan seal.

Gates47 06-11-2016 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127 (Post 432970)
Yep. I'd start by popping off the timing belt cover and see if its dry inside. Then pull off the spark plug cover - any oil up there would suggest a clogged PCV (you want to fix that as it can cause pressure that can push out the seals). I'd add to the possibility list - wet by the distributor? check rear cam seals. turbo? oil return line at the turbo and the block (this can make a mess). front side could be the cooler lines, dip stick, filler cap. Also check the oil filter/filter housing. Finally, check the oil pan seal.

It is the firewall side of the engine and it is going everywhere. More regards the left side of the car

mt6127 06-12-2016 08:57 PM

if the oil is on the firewall side of the engine, then the likely cause is the turbo oil return line. When the gasket goes (a common repair) it can make quite the mess for a $2 part...