Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

98 S70 GLT new to me. Smoking like a freight train

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 S70 GLT new to me. Smoking like a freight train

Just picked up a 98 S70 for a steal. Owner's mechanic said it needed pcv system and possibly the turbo due to the large amounts of smoke pouring from the exhaust. Did my research before buying it and when I went to look at it, it seemed like all the internals are really good and the symptoms are indicative of the pcv system issues and possible turbo seals. Drove it home without any problems. Check engine light was on, but I didn't have any problems setting the cruise on 70 mph. It also seems to have decent power and throttle response. After getting it home and taking some things apart (which I did slowly and cautiously) I was amazed that this thing ran and drove as well as it did. I found pretty significant amounts of oil on the bottom side intercooler piping, oil on the interior surface of every intake related pipe or hose and the compressor was dirty and oily on the inside. Obviously the pcv system need to be done with the car having 161,000 miles on it. I'm just hoping I don't have to replace the turbo. Not a huge deal to do it, just more work than I was hoping for. I also want to find out what happens after replacing the PCV system, and fixing the many vacuum leaks INCLUDING the hose to the CBV (compressor bypass) that had long since deteriorated and broken off at the connection point on the CBV. So, not only did I have a vacuum leak there, the CBV wasn't functional at all!!! Maybe this explains the smoke happening mostly when you let off the throttle. My theory is, that pressure spike is forcing oil through the turbo to the exhaust. I don't know how plausible that is in reality, but that's my theory as of now. Ordered the pcv, with a bunch of vacuum line from ipdusa.com Hopefully that will do it! The project for tomorrow is to get all the piping cleaned up and get as much of the oil as possible out of the system. That way I'll have a relatively fresh start and baseline. I would love some comments and any insight you guys have. I will also be posting some pics of all the oily bits tomorrow. Stay tuned

Old 01-21-2014, 11:18 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey Jake, wish we were closer, I am having problems sleeping. Told my wife just this morning how bad I need a good neck and back massage.

Besides that, sounds like you have a decent deal. If it's not smoking 100% of the time, the turbo is likely good. I have a ton of how to video's if you need to access any specific one and you're having problems locating it, let me know.

Playlist: New to me car, what should I do? - YouTube

Old 01-22-2014, 02:08 AM

Sorry to hear you're having trouble sleeping. Try to find a local MT to help you out. Anyway, yeah I think I got a pretty good deal. And after correcting all the minor issues I think she will be good to go. This is my first time with a turbo 5 cylinder. I had a '93 850glt 5-spd. (Should have kept it) Always loved this chassis and the 5 cylinder, and always wanted a turbo. For $600 I couldn't pass it up. I think I'm going to end up selling the 240 wagon and keeping this one. Full tune up and trans drain and fill to come after I get this pcv job done.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:25 AM
Administrator

I don't think I would get rid of the wagon but hey, you know how many vehicles you can handle.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:23 PM
Default No more smoke!

Replaced the pcv system and cleaned all the oil out of all the intake, intercooler, and piping. So far after starting, no smoke, runs silky smooth, loads of power. Had to clear the misfire codes (probably from having the fuel rail off). Have all new vacuum lines coming Monday. That should help even more. Needs a full tune up. Cap is hideous. Have no idea how bad the plugs are. All that to come as money allows. Really really pleased with the outcome thus far. I think it's definitely worth spending the money for the tune up, and timing belt.

Attached Thumbnails 98 S70 GLT new to me. Smoking like a freight train-image.jpg  
Old 01-26-2014, 05:50 PM
Administrator

I would think so. It looks good. Wish I could find a good deal on one for my mom. I really want a V70 XC for her, '98 model.

Old 01-27-2014, 11:06 PM

Two new front tires today. Found out it needs left front ball joint, which I kinda figured. Here was some vagueness and noise from the front end. Picked up one at pull a part. Not the best source for a part like that, but it is at least 100 % better than the old one. That will go on the next warm day. Replaced the antenna and a couple wood trim pieces from the salvage yard today too. Didn't realized they were the wrong color, so I am going back to get the rest of them. Lol. Found out from this and other forums how to stop the squeaking dash. Vacuum lines are here, and those will also be done the next warm day. Guys definitely check your local salvage yard for cheap parts. It's hit or miss but you can get some good stuff. Going to go ahead and order the full tune up, timing belt, serp belt and various tools etc from ipdusa.com. I'll be happy to share my experiences, so if anyone has any questions that I haven't covered in a write up (which I plan on doing) let me know

Old 01-28-2014, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Nice progress. I have found some very nice newish parts at the salvage yard. The best GREEN THING we can do for our environment. Pulled a near new CV axle out the other day. Still had the Volvo sticker on it. A buddy of mine pulled some Bilstien's out a few weeks ago. He even found someone to pull a windshield for $20 and install it for $40.