Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/)
-   -   '99 S70 - One Rear Wheel Doesn'the Spin Freely (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/99-s70-one-rear-wheel-doesnthe-spin-freely-89540/)

Ben_25 08-11-2016 04:46 PM

'99 S70 - One Rear Wheel Doesn'the Spin Freely

So, I'm wondering if this can cause the car to pull to the right. The rear right wheel doesn't spin as freely as the rear left wheel. Would this cause it to pull to the right?

Also how would I go about fixing this? Could it be a sticking caliper? Cause the rotor on the wheel that is dragging has more wear than the other side. I recently had all brake pads and rotors replaced and the other side has little to no wear on the rotor visually.

I want to fix this before I get new tires and potentially waste money because of uneven tire wear.

Smith Volvo 08-11-2016 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Ben_25 (Post 436038)
So, I'm wondering if this can cause the car to pull to the right. The rear right wheel doesn't spin as freely as the rear left wheel. Would this cause it to pull to the right?

Also how would I go about fixing this? Could it be a sticking caliper? Cause the rotor on the wheel that is dragging has more wear than the other side. I recently had all brake pads and rotors replaced and the other side has little to no wear on the rotor visually.

I want to fix this before I get new tires and potentially waste money because of uneven tire wear.

either a sticking caliper or wheel bearing. Is there any discoloration on the brake disc? If so - its your caliper (see attached pdf) And yes - it can cause the car to pull to the right.

Ben_25 08-11-2016 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Smith Volvo (Post 436040)
either a sticking caliper or wheel bearing. Is there any discoloration on the brake disc? If so - its your caliper (see attached pdf) And yes - it can cause the car to pull to the right.

Does the rear caliper have guide pins that can be lubed? And there's no discoloration, but there is a noticeable amount of wear on the rotor compared to the other side. It's shiny and whatnot like normal, just more wear. The other side still has the new rotor look while the sticking side has a used rotor look. Hopefully that makes sense. Do you think I should take the caliper off and try spinning the rotor to see if it spins freely? I doubt it is a bad wheel bearing strictly due to the rotor wear. Caliper is probably seizing up a little bit. Is there any possible way to fix it? Or would I need to replace it?

Smith Volvo 08-11-2016 05:20 PM

It's a solid mounted caliper with inner and outer pistons. One of the pistons may be frozen.

ES6T 08-11-2016 05:46 PM

Also make sure the parking brake isn't the problem. The shoes can come apart or the cable could be sticking. Or it could be an adjustment issue.

Smith Volvo 08-11-2016 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by ES6T (Post 436045)
Also make sure the parking brake isn't the problem. The shoes can come apart or the cable could be sticking. Or it could be an adjustment issue.

good idea here. Being in California, we hardly see frozen brake issues like you guys on the East coast. Then again we hardly see rain too. In fact - we decided to just hit the delete button when the subject of weather came up years ago. Fires and earthquakes are what we specialize in!

Cheers!