Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/)
-   -   Car won't start (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/car-wont-start-88868/)

73buick 06-17-2016 09:22 PM

Car won't start

Hi, first post here. My brother has a 2000 S70 Turbo AWD, 153,000 miles, that I will be driving for the next couple of months. I just picked up the car yesterday and there seem to be some issues.

Quick background of what I have seen so far:
Idle can randomly jump up and down. Light steady throttle often will result in on and off surges, mainly at low speeds like coming off a red light. At speed is usually pretty solid. Check engine light on (brother said been on awhile)

So today, car wouldn't start right away, then started. Drove to work. Later drove to bank then would start. Then started, but super low rpms and very rough. Tried a few more times, got it started (ETS light came on) Drove to my one mechanic to get tires balanced (bad vibration previous night on highway) and pulled codes.
Codes pulled: P0013, P0236, P0237, P0442, P1332
Also mention car started fine for them both pulling into and out of shop.
Drove to two more places, car started fine. Drove back to my work. Finished work, came out, would not start at all. Cranks fine, sometimes a sputter for a second, but never catches.

So, I been reading up, and first thought was the ETM, but none of the P codes seem to point to it. I did look and saw it was a yellow sticker ETM so I assume it was replaced at some point. As I was trying to start the car this last time to no avail, I was leaving key turned part way at times, I don't think I could hear the fuel pump humming like I read I should be able to hear.

If I want to test the pump, do I just buy a fuel pressure gauge and put it on the end of the rail? Should I see some min pressure with the key on, but not started yet? Pressure while cranking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

Psaboic 06-17-2016 11:14 PM

One quick way to check on the problem is to spray a 2 second burst of starting fluid into the air intake and try to start it. If it starts and runs for a couple seconds you have a fuel delivery problem. If it does not start you have a spark problem.

73buick 06-19-2016 07:43 PM

So I went back to the car today. First put the key in Pos II, I don't think I heard the pump, but I had the door open and had traffic going by. I didn't try to start. Opened up the fuse panel, and took out the relay. Checked resistance on the pump, 1 ohm. I checked the voltage from the ECU and only got about .3V and I thought I read it should be around 4.3V, this was with key in POS II. Took a paper clip and jumped the socket. Turned key, pretty sure I heard the pump this time. Car started right up. Turned off it off, put relay back in, turned key again, pretty sure I heard the pump again this time and the car started up. Drove around town a bit. Still has the eratic idle on first start up and touchy at light throttle. While driving around town, ETS light came on. Parked it and let it sit a bit, started up fine, ETS still on.

Psaboic 06-19-2016 09:30 PM

Sounds like it might be a bad fuel pump relay.....fairly common issue