Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/)
-   -   A couple questions (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/couple-questions-89584/)

mrcharlie 08-15-2016 02:59 PM

A couple questions

I have a 2000 S70 GLT with an auto transmission. There is a light on the left side of the cluster that reads ETS that comes on intermittently. What do those letters stand for? Also I get a ABS, Brake and what looks like a traction control triangle symbol that come on sometimes with or without the speedo needle dropping out. I have a cheap scanner that gives me a P0722 Speed sensor no signal, P1633 Aux input and P1618 Aux input.
Any ideas?

Smith Volvo 08-15-2016 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by mrcharlie (Post 436243)
I have a 2000 S70 GLT with an auto transmission. There is a light on the left side of the cluster that reads ETS that comes on intermittently. What do those letters stand for? Also I get a ABS, Brake and what looks like a traction control triangle symbol that come on sometimes with or without the speedo needle dropping out. I have a cheap scanner that gives me a P0722 Speed sensor no signal, P1633 Aux input and P1618 Aux input.
Any ideas?

That is your electronic throttle body complaining along with your ABS control unit complaining. Not related. Both will have to be replaced more than likely.

mrcharlie 08-15-2016 09:43 PM

Thank you for the prompt reply. Well, I took a chance on this car when I bought it for $300.00 knowing it needed a head gasket. I changed the gasket and have been driving it back and forth to work. It starts right up every time and runs good and the air is nice and cold. At 195,000 miles I think it might be worth fixing up. With some sage advice from you Gurus out there and some new and used parts, I may be able to swing it. I`ll keep y`all posted. There`s a picture of her in my garage.

Psaboic 08-16-2016 07:50 AM

Getting the ABS module repaired will fix the ABS, traction control and speedometer issue. A new module is about $800, but it can be repaired for about $150. Do a web swearch for Victor Rocha. That name will point you to the best person around to fix the ABS module.

mt6127 08-16-2016 08:18 AM

I know of 3 shops that do ABS model repairs:

RochaTek-ABS Repair (Victor's good about replying to emails too)
https://www.midwest-abs.com/ and
Xemodex Inc Technology Improved | Specializes in the manufacturing and re-manufacturing of electronic components for European automobiles

Xemodex also does throttle body repairs and CEM pairing.

mrcharlie 08-16-2016 08:21 AM

Thanks, I`ll look into that. It`s funny how the module decides to lose it`s mind at random times. At first thought it was totally heat related, as it would start occurring at the hottest part of the day after a few miles. But then the lights would go out and the needle would come back up. I figured out soon when it happens before coming to a stop that you have to pull it down into 2nd and shift up manually. In the meantime I`ve drained and refilled the ATF a couple of times, as it was pretty nasty. The clean Dexron VI seemed to help smooth out the shifting when I`m not doing it manually.

mt6127 08-18-2016 02:15 PM

usually the problem is a cracked solder joint on the controller board so vibration, moisture, heat, position of the moon etc can set off a fault.

mrcharlie 08-23-2016 12:21 PM

So this fixer-upper is getting me back and forth to work everyday (about 50 miles round trip) and I`m thinking it doesn't seem to have much or any boost for a turbo. Then a couple days ago I noticed a hellacious rattle in the exhaust. I pull off the cat pipe and tip it over and there`s some of the cat falling out and I have to help the rest of it out. Sitting in the debris is the exhaust turbine. Hmmmm.... I look up and see that the turbo is intact, no play and free wheeling. Well, I guess the guy wasn`t concerned about where that pesky turbine went when he put the new or used one in.
So I get it cleaned up and back together and viola!, no more noise (except for the rod knock or piston slap, not sure which) and she seems a little boostier.
Maybe wishful thinking here, but I hope to fix her up as I go along. Believe it or not, this is the first car I`ve owned with A/C and it`s working fine down in this Tennessee heat.