Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/)
-   -   Crummy Headlight Fix (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/crummy-headlight-fix-88159/)

firebirdparts 04-17-2016 09:18 PM

Crummy Headlight Fix

I have had a couple of S70 and V70's where the headlights were very dim, and the problem was the reflector. I did a little research on this yesterday and I decided to try to fix them using Monokote Trim Chrome from the hobby shop. For $3, it's the cheapest fix, and being peel-n-stick, it's probably the easiest, and being about as reflective as a mirror, it has a good chance of being the best as well.

I just did one headlight so I could compare (so far). I was shocked. I think I have about 10X the light. I will have to post some pictures.

This stuff is sticky back mylar, so it'll be interesting to see if it peels off or crumbles to dust and when.

mt6127 04-17-2016 09:30 PM

I'd be curious how it holds up to the heat. Should I be on the lookout for a Volvo in Tennessee with flames coming out of one of the headlights? :-)

firebirdparts 04-17-2016 09:32 PM

Could happen...

firebirdparts 04-21-2016 08:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This picture does not really do it justice. I think I have about 10 times more light on the "good" one.
Attachment 15018

firebirdparts 04-30-2016 09:20 PM

I was thinking about doing the other headlight with aluminum duct tape, but I found the roll I had was not the shiny kind. So I have done the rest of the headlights with the Monokote mylar. I guess I'll report back in a year or when it peels off. $3 worth is enough to do all 4 headlights.

Psaboic 05-01-2016 10:44 AM

Wow......Definitely see the difference. Please let us know how it holds up!!

firebirdparts 05-01-2016 03:18 PM

I would post a picture of my sticker work, but it looks like a first grader did it.

97-850Wagen 05-06-2016 09:53 PM

Ok, now I'm curious if this would work on my 850T lighting(s)... :think: it/they are terrible, particularly the low beams...Even with Hella Hi performance Xenon bulbs installed...bulbs made a difference over what was in there originally, but still terrible (although the 100w Hellas I put in the highs definitely made a difference lol :D )

firebirdparts 04-23-2018 10:49 AM

Well, here's an update. I meant to check in after 1 years, but now it's been 2. This is working great. I can still clearly see the cut line, and both bulbs have a little bright spot of focus which approximately intersects on the surface of the road on dim. I don't see any deterioration at all. I will pull the lenses off and inspect and let you all know how it looks.

firebirdparts 09-28-2020 12:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, here's another update. I went to the pull-a-part junkyard (just for fun) and there I found an S70 with brand new Taiwanese headlights. I bought them. so I am removing my repaired headlights. It's a struggle to photograph mirrors and lights, but here are some photos, such as they are. I decided at long last to show the appearance of my homemade "mirror" inside the lamp. The garage door below, it should be obvious, is repaired light on the left and Taiwanese on the right. The photo above was unrepaired on the left. The camera adjusts to overall light based on where you point it, and so I had all sorts of images. This image below is the one which made them look the most different.
Attachment 26666
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/volvofo...c1dc14e277.jpg

patcal 09-28-2020 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by firebirdparts (Post 430123)
I have had a couple of S70 and V70's where the headlights were very dim, and the problem was the reflector. I did a little research on this yesterday and I decided to try to fix them using Monokote Trim Chrome from the hobby shop. For $3, it's the cheapest fix, and being peel-n-stick, it's probably the easiest, and being about as reflective as a mirror, it has a good chance of being the best as well.

I just did one headlight so I could compare (so far). I was shocked. I think I have about 10X the light. I will have to post some pictures.

This stuff is sticky back mylar, so it'll be interesting to see if it peels off or crumbles to dust and when.

Is this the stuff you used?