Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/)
-   -   ETS Light/Non-Acceleration (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/ets-light-non-acceleration-20868/)

Jawsfan 06-18-2008 07:41 PM

ETS Light/Non-Acceleration

So...my ETS light comes on quite bright (Electronic Throttle System) and then I amazingly lose acceleration (the car wouldn't go over 10 miles an hour). Most online research led me to believe it was going to be a major repair (at least $800+) but - and get this - the mechanic I took it to says it's actually a failed sensor in the gas pedal and it'll cost less than $500 to repair (parts + labor included; apparently the sensor and gas pedal cannot be purchased individually). If true...what the heck would cause the ETS light to come on? Anyone? Bueller?

S70driver 06-18-2008 09:11 PM

RE: ETS Light/Non-Acceleration

Be sure that your ETM has been replaced and the new software has been installed.

JRL 06-18-2008 10:14 PM

Your mechanic is full of crap.
It's ETM and has a 10 year, 200,000 mile warranty
GO TO A VOLVO DEALER ASAP
THIS IS FREE REPAIR!

jsj_297 06-19-2008 05:26 AM

Hey S70, JRL, is there a way to tell if the ETS has been modified, I have 1998 and would like to see if I need mine to be serviced before 2009.

S70driver 06-19-2008 07:32 AM

You have a 1998 it doesn't have an ETM so no worries. 1999+ models had the ETM problem.

jsj_297 06-19-2008 09:41 AM

You mean that's one Volvo gremlin I can't have......Sweet! Man, I sure don't dodge those very often. Thanks S70

S70driver 06-19-2008 11:03 AM

The 1998 models don't have an ETM they have a reagular throttle body.

Jawsfan 06-20-2008 11:05 AM

So I picked it up last night and drove it home. Everything seemed fine but the ETS light was still on. This morning, however, it wouldn't go over 15 mph again. I dropped it off at the mechanic and let him know. He just called me and said he "reset the lights" (how does one do that anyway?) and that it's driving fine. And I quote: "It must have somehow tripped itself."

An earlier post referenced that the ETS issue is a warranty thing for Volvo; I'm feeling ripped off!

S70driver 06-20-2008 01:00 PM

Ok call the Volvo dealership. Give them your VIN #. Ask them if the ETM has been replaced and the new software installed. If not have it done. Only a Volvo dealership can do this.

JRL 06-20-2008 06:50 PM

ORIGINAL: S70driver

Ok call the Volvo dealership. Give them your VIN #. Ask them if the ETM has been replaced and the new software installed. If not have it done. Only a Volvo dealership can do this.
Quess he doesn't READ or listen to what people say!

"Your mechanic is full of crap.
TheETM and has a 10 year, 200,000 mile warranty
GO TO A VOLVO DEALER ASAP
THIS IS FREE REPAIR!"

mncx 06-20-2008 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: S70driver

Volvo take this issue very seriously.. At first of the recall 155 haven't been done they will do it.. first... They will not replace the throttle if it passed the ETM test. They will do PCV service if it's turbo and it's out of specs. MAKE SURE AFTER ETM SOFTWARE UPGRADE TELL THEM TO PROVIDE A COPY OF THE ETM TEST RESULT! ANYTHING OVER CERTAIN % OUT OF SPECS IT NEED TO BE REPLACE.

Jawsfan 06-26-2008 06:24 AM

Brought the car back to the same mechanic who ran the diagnostics again and he called me to say it was indeed the ETS and that it had to be serviced by Volvo (good call to all of you! I've been traveling and haven't been able to check the forum of late). Turns out my wife had the ETS serviced by Volvo in January of '07 but we've only put 5K miles on the car since then. Taking it to Volvo today. Seems to me they should still be responsible for it, yes?

JRL 06-26-2008 06:31 AM

Yes, now they should just replace it