Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/)
-   -   Help with tie rods (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/help-tie-rods-76124/)

jferguso 01-18-2014 09:50 AM

Help with tie rods

1 Attachment(s)
I just replaced the inner and outer tie rods on my brother's S70. The problem is, on the driver side there is a green bushing preventing me from getting a wrench on the inner tie rod to torque it. There is no bushing like this on the passenger side. The bushing is not serving a purpose that I can tell. Is that bushing supposed to be there? Is there supposed to be one on the other side? If it is supposed to be there, how do I tighten the tie rod? I have the proper crow's foot wrench. What would happen if I just removed the bushing?

kwatt 01-18-2014 11:10 AM

The passenger side does not have a green bushing like that. The seal is at the very outside edge of the assembly. On the driver side the seal is recessed. I would imagine that bushing acts as a stabilizer between the rack and the body as the rack extends longer from the seal. I would wonder why the bushing did not stay inside the rack body, it should stay inside. That said, you may find that you can push it back in there. I didn’t take the driver side apart so I am not positive about that, but it’s logical.

When you took the old inner tie rod off, was there a locking ring between the rack and the tie rod end? It looks like a washer and it should have been bent over one of the flats on the tie rod. Sometimes re-manufacturers do not use them and use Loctite on the tie rod – if it’s a reman unit. If it’s the original rack/pinion and tie rod end, then it should be there. I do not see it in the picture, the reason I asked.

How did you get the old one off? Did you just use the crowfoot and remove it? If so, reverse that and put it on. If there was no ring (as above) either you need to get one or use blue loctite. It will suck if the tie rod comes loose on the highway.

jferguso 01-18-2014 11:28 AM

Thank you for the quick reply! There was no tab keeping the inner tie rod from loosening on either side. Not sure why. I will get some Loctite for that. I will see if I can't that bushing to slide back out of the way, but it seems to have a lip to prevent that. As for how I got the old one off? Channel lock pliers. Yep, really.

kwatt 01-18-2014 12:15 PM

I'd seek more info on what is up with that green bushing. Btw, you can get the loaner inner tie rod removal and install tool from places like Autozone.

rspi 01-18-2014 07:46 PM

I have never done them buy my Volvo mechanic said put a pipe wrench on the outer part.

ES6T 01-18-2014 07:47 PM

That is probably the steering rack limiter.

Just use channel locks to tighten it. Volvo has a special tool, but it isn't necessary.

ibanez958 01-19-2014 03:12 PM

use a pipe wrench to loose & tighten. but not too much torque otherwise u can break the steering rack.