Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/)
-   -   Key in ignition chime always on (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/key-ignition-chime-always-95749/)

P80_Blake 03-08-2018 09:27 PM

Key in ignition chime always on

New to forum,

I have a 98 s70 t5m and the key in ignition chime constantly dings when the door is open, even when the key isn't in the igniton. Not only is it annoying, it also will not let me lock my car from the outside. Anyone else had this issue or know of a fix for it.

Thanks guys

firebirdparts 03-09-2018 09:27 AM

As you can imagine, there is a set of contacts inside that ignition lock which detects the presence of the key. How else could it work? My bet is they don't work. I could be wrong. The ignition lock is pretty easy to get to. You could at least unplug it and verify the problem for free.

firebirdparts 03-09-2018 09:39 AM

Looking at the wiring diagram, key detection is continuity from 30 to "S". If you unplug the ignition switch, it should appear to the car that everything is normal and the key is out. The "S" wire is yellow.

[update] I figured out that you can't just cut this wire. I think you need it to unlock the steering wheel.

P80_Blake 03-09-2018 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by firebirdparts (Post 457522)
Looking at the wiring diagram, key detection is continuity from 30 to "S". If you unplug the ignition switch, it should appear to the car that everything is normal and the key is out. The "S" wire is yellow.

[update] I figured out that you can't just cut this wire. I think you need it to unlock the steering wheel.

Thanks alot I'll try it this weekend!

firebirdparts 03-09-2018 08:20 PM

I changed my mind about cutting the yellow wire. It might set off the immobilizer, but it won't lock the steering wheel. The steering wheel lock is mechanical. that is just based on my experiments with it.

BCFischer 03-20-2018 11:52 AM

March must be the time of year for this problem....

I am having the same issue on my 1999 V70 XC. I just replaced the ignition cylinder (no mean feat, incidently) and now, when the key is out and the doors are open, the key in ignition chime sounds. Mildly annoying, but the greater problem is I can't lock the doors with this chime activated.

Has anything worked out for P80_Blake in his seach for a solution? I'm keen to know as well.

Take care,

Brian C. Fischer
Duluth, Minnesota

DaBulls Bros. 03-25-2018 04:37 AM

KEY IN IGNITION CHIME ALWAYS ON
I have the same problem with my 1998 S70 GLT and I root caused it to the door locks. I have to make sure that all of the doors are unlocked. Sometimes, my driver side door may be locked and all of the others are unlocked. I've even rolled my window down and then put the key outside to unlock the door so that all of the doors are unlocked. Once all of the doors are unlocked, I'm fine and the chiming stops.