Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/)
-   -   Low Coolant idiot light (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/low-coolant-idiot-light-5944/)

S70driver 05-23-2006 08:23 PM

Low Coolant idiot light

Ok so my Low Coolant idiot light has come on. So I let my engine cool for the day as I went in to work. I came back out and before I left I checked my coolant. I would say there was half of the coolant in the resivior to 3/4's full. However the idiot light still came on.

So as I drove the 30 miles home I watch the temp gauge. It goes till it is at 3 like it would be on a clock. Sometimes when I let off the gass it dipped a little bit, but went back up to normal then.

It didn't get hot or anything. What could be the problem? Bad sensor? Or is it a early warning detection that it is leaking and should be filled up and also fixed?

tech 05-23-2006 09:12 PM

RE: Low Coolant idiot light

Carefully unhook the Coolant bottle and lift it up and look at the sensor in the bottom of the bottle.
The Gel like substance then put in the end of the sensor crumbles and falls out and the wires slide out.
Causing the light to come on.

The only fix is a new sensor.

S70driver 05-24-2006 12:03 AM

Filled it up some and the idiot light still came on. I suppose it is a sensor.

S70driver 05-24-2006 01:06 AM

Next problem. I thought I was low on windshield washer fluid and I filled it up and the level dropped down and I felt it spritzing out onto my foot. Normal or leaking?

S70turbo1999 05-24-2006 07:12 PM

coolant is green right? i was checkin my hoses and pulled on one not going into the coolant container but the other end and it started shooting out green liquid...i hope i didnt lose too much, i capped it back on in like 5 seconds

S70driver 05-24-2006 07:53 PM

Yeah it came out cause you didn't pressureize or should I say depressureize the system. Which I tried to do about a month ago and two of us couldn't find where to take a cap off. So we had the same deal. I just quickly put the new silicone hose on and tightly ziptied it so it wouldn't budge.

tech 05-24-2006 08:47 PM

ORIGINAL: S70driver

Next problem. I thought I was low on windshield washer fluid and I filled it up and the level dropped down and I felt it spritzing out onto my foot. Normal or leaking?
If you Overfill it then ot will leak some. How long did it leak out for?
Is the bottle empty?

Ihatespeedbumps 05-25-2006 12:11 AM

Tech is right. There is a rubber tube at the top that will allow washer fluid to overflow if the reservoir is filled to much. It's possible you added to much and it's "spritzing" all over your foot for that reason. Another possiblity is the reservoir has a hole in it. Take the bumper off to get a better idea of where the fluid is leaking from if it continues.

S70turbo1999 05-25-2006 01:00 AM

Yeah it came out cause you didn't pressureize or should I say depressureize the system. Which I tried to do about a month ago and two of us couldn't find where to take a cap off. So we had the same deal. I just quickly put the new silicone hose on and tightly ziptied it so it wouldn't budge.

k thanks for clearin that up, i figured thats what id try and do...i got the blue vacuum hose kit from stylin today :-)