Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Do you hate rust on the rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you hate rust on the rotors?

Feeling inspired to share today.

If you hate the rust that builds on the rotors after you install a nice new set of rotors.......

You'll neeed:
  1. Masking tape/blue tape etc (I like 2")
  2. High temp engine paint. Pick the color you like. I prefer black.
  3. Xacto or other really sharp utility knife
  4. Brake cleaner
  5. Rags/shop cloth, paper towel/newspaper/etc
Be careful with brake clearner. Wear safety glasses, gloves and work in a ventilated area. Don't get it on painted surfaces etc.; it will ruin them.
  • Clean your new rotors with brake cleaner. Rub them down everywhere with a paper towl, shop cloth, etc. to remove oil and residue. Use paper or rag or something to sop up the cleaner as you spray it.
  • Spray them down again to remove any of the paper/lint that sticks.
  • Cover the rotor surface that the pads ride on with the tape up to the hub area.
  • Cover the top of the hub area completely
  • use the Xactlo knife to trim off the excess tape. Carefully go around the edge of the hub. You'll find it pretty easy as there is a lip there. Just go slow.
  • Do the same at the pad surface area. You'll find a little bit of a curved well there. It makes a goo guide for the knife.
  • I use the news paper or the box the rotors come in as a backing for the spray paint. Lightly coat the exposed surfaces with the spray pint. Let it sit for a bit. The spray can will tell you how long between coats. Spray another light coat and wait again. then spray another light coat. I find 3 light coats makes for a durable surface.
  • Let it dry really well and install the rotors. I usually do this the day before I am going to do the rotor replacement.
Note: When you are done the surface of the rotor that contacts the wheel and the surface the pads ride on should be completely free of paint and should be clean bare metal. If you got pain on those surfaces you need to get it off. use the Xacto and scrape the excess off. I like to take a paper towl/rag and soad some brake cleaner on it to remove any tape glue residue or paint off the pad surface area to make sure that is clean; just don't get it on the paint.

You'll smell the paint for a while after you drive because of the new paint. This kind of bakes the paint onto the surface so consider it a good thing. If it smells like its on fire tha tis a different thing... Check your calipers for sticking and casuing excessive heat if that happens. That kind of heat will ruin the rotor.

Last edited by kwatt; 11-16-2013 at 10:21 AM.