Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Please Help, possible MAF problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 03:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help, possible MAF problem?

Hello all,

Great forum you have here. I am new. I've had my S70 for about 2 years now and I love the car. I'm also very ignorant when it comes to automobiles (I'm a computer guy) but I'm making a commitment to this car and to learn to take care of it myself.

I'm hoping you all can help me in that quest.

So here is the situation. I have a 2000 S70. It's not turbo.

About four weeks ago it died on me while coming to a stop. It started fine, it ran fine, it even idled fairly well. But when breaking hard or coming to an abrupt stop the engine would die. This started getting progressively worse.

I came here and read up on it and thought it could be the MAF. I took it apart and cleaned it. This seem to help, slightly, for about a half hour. Then the symptoms returned.

This has gotten worse and worse and worse (which also coincides with the hotter more humid weather here in Kentucky).

I finally ordered a used MAF off of ebay from a trusted seller who is parting out a couple of cars. Swapped out the MAF, and it didn't make a bit of difference. I'm going to return it, it COULD be defective too.

So today, I bought a hand held OBD-II code reader, only to find that the car was not displaying any error codes at all. Just to doublecheck, I pulled the wires from the MAF to disconnect it. The car started, but was still displaying the sporatic idle and having a tendency to die. At this point it threw the following codes:

P0102
P0113
P1670

I did not attempt to drive the car with the MAF unplugged. Though I read on here that was safe to do in the short term? If so, that will be my next test.

Any ideas? Again, the majority of the time it starts fine, runs fine, and idle's fine. It only has problems coming to a stop. When stopping or immediately after stopping it idles rough and low and has a tendency to die. But if you give it a little gas it will eventually start idling fine and you can take your foot off the petal.

Again, I'm ignorant, but I can learn and catch on quick.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

C

Old 05-27-2010, 12:24 PM

Also related. My MAF is the Denso model. I replaced with another used Denso model. Do I have to use Denso, or is there a compatible Bosche model? I can't find that referenced anywhere.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

P0102
ECM-1300
Mass air flow (MAF) sensor
Signal too low

P0113
ECM-1200
Intake air temperature (IAT) sensor inlet
Signal too high

the other is an immobilizer code, no relation.

You should done things in reverse, buy the scanner, diagnose it, fix it. Just replacing parts is ......

anyways, this code, you may have a hose leaking after the MAF, dirty throttle, this is easy to clean non-turbo, maybe even an oil trap, look for vacuum leaks and such. Now this other code is related to MAF, so you may need a new one, but non-turbo is DENSO.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:12 PM

Granted, I should have read the codes first. But I'm learning.

The replacement part was less than $30 as it was a pull from a parts car. It was a long shot, but much better than the $300 I have seen the new Denso's for.

Thank you for the explanation of the codes. But keep it mind it only display codes when I disconnected the MAF, so of course the signal will be too low cause there is no signal at all.

With the original or replacement MAF installed, the car still has all the same symptoms, but does not display any error codes.

I plan on taking a test drive this afternoon with the MAF completely unplugged to see if it makes any difference at all.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:01 PM

Could it be an idle air control valve?

Old 06-09-2010, 12:37 PM

Well, time has not been on my side and the car was getting progressively worse. So I broke down and took it to the dealership.

They called to tell me there were no codes, which I already knew. They said they cleaned the throttle body and were going to test drive it some more.

Does this sound anywhere near right to any of you? My symptoms seemed like MAF problems, could the throttle body cause similar symptoms?

Old 06-09-2010, 01:40 PM

You may want to pull the intake off the throttle body to see if oil is getting in there from a clogged PCV system. My 99 S70 was doing something similar as when I would come to a stop the oil would go into the throttle body and the idle would drop and if I didnt hit the gas the engine would die. It would also be hard to start when this happened. You can get a PCV kit from FCP Groton or other suppliers to fix this problem, in case that is what is happening to your S70. Might not be, but good to check for that too.