Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/)
-   -   transmission issue? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/transmission-issue-63123/)

Mr.T_2_U 05-27-2012 06:37 PM

transmission issue?

Lets start off with the basics:
2000 Volvo S70 base (non-turbo)
72,000 miles
5-speed transmission

For about a month now, every once in a while my ABS and traction control lights would come on while driving, then shut off again when I restarted the car. They didn't produce a code nor effect drivability so I brushed them off nothing. A few sites told me that it could be a bad ABS module but since no codes were being produced and the problem was not consistent, I ignored it. A few days ago, my check engine light came on and told me I had a speed sensor error. I cleared the code, and it didn't come back, so once again I brushed it off for now at least. This morning however, while on the highway, the transmission arrow on the dashboard began blinking and my check engine light turned on. The car refused to shift gears after that and I had to slowly baby it home in low gear. I hooked up a OBD II scanner and got the following codes:

P1618: Fault in Lead between AW 50-52 and Motronic 4.3
P0740: Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Circuit
P0732: Gear 2 Incorrect ratio

The transmission also leaks very small amounts of fluid when I shift gears However the transmission fluid level is still fine. This is my first time posting to this forum, but I've used it many times before to solve other issues. Anyone have any idea what the problem could be?

rspi 05-27-2012 09:31 PM

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Is your car a manual or auto?

If your abs module goes out I believe it will effect other systems and may cause the car to go into the limp home mode (flashing arrow). Other than that, I don't know.

Robert

98v70 12-06-2012 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by rspi (Post 316914)
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Is your car a manual or auto?

If your abs module goes out I believe it will effect other systems and may cause the car to go into the limp home mode (flashing arrow). Other than that, I don't know.

Robert

Really? if the ABS module is malfunctioning (ABS and Trac light on) it may cause other problems??? My ABS lights have been on for maybe 9 months. Then all of a sudden the Blinking Arrow lights comes on along with Check Engine light. CEL code is P0740 Torque Converter Clutch, which may be the shift solenoids inside the transmission.

I at a crossroad with what to do with this car. Over $900 to fix shift solenoids. Its cheaper to replace the ABS module if that is the problem?!?!

Also, my car shifts/drives fine even with the blinking arrows, CEL and ABS all on.

rspi 12-06-2012 07:01 PM

So, is there a question in there somewhere? I doubt the ABS error will cause any problems with the tranny. A lot of people change their own tranny solenoids so maybe you can do the same.