Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/)
-   -   Trip computer in S70 that isn't equipped with it? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/trip-computer-s70-isnt-equipped-60337/)

mhphoto 01-23-2012 01:34 AM

Trip computer in S70 that isn't equipped with it?

I'm loving my new '98 S70. I also have a NA '96 850. One thing I've always wanted is the onboard trip computer. I know the 850's display is different in the cars that do and don't have the trip computer installed, but I noticed today that my S70's little display has all the trip computer's selections in the display (mpg, miles until empty, etc.).

My questions are:

1) Is everything that's needed for the trip computer to work already in the car?

2) If so, would I just need the little dash knob to get it to work, or are there other things involved?

The reason I ask is that I've had my eye on the Scangauge setup for a while, but if all the necessary hookups are already in my car and it's just a matter of finding the knob and connecting some wires, I'd just as soon stick with the stock setup.

Thanks!

rspi 01-23-2012 01:58 PM

You have to have a swtich and software from the stealer. They charge about $300 to activate it from what I have heard. You can call and ask.

Some people have found a cluster in the salvage yard with switch attached and simply swapped it out and was good to go.

I have a ScanGauge II. I like it and have found another one that is similar. It's called www.Ultra-Gauge.com.

mhphoto 02-04-2012 11:35 PM

Thanks, rspi. I guess I'll just save up for the scan gauge. Those things look great.

wolfsburgfan 03-27-2012 08:16 AM

I'll tell you how much when I go to the Dealer soon. I'm having a remote programmed & we'll see how much they charge me to do that as well. My Dealer is charging me $60.00 for the remote, so my guess is another $60.00. Maybe even a courtesy job, ha ha.

rspi 03-27-2012 09:22 AM

That's funny.

I like the www.ScanGauge.com and they have added some nice features.

I also have access to a '98 V70 with the trip computer installed. Let me know if someone wants it.

Meloyler 03-28-2012 05:49 AM

Along these same lines, can anyone tell me why my trip computer on my 99 S70 T-5, 2.3L w/105K miles would have theirs saying "DISC" from time to time? It's not consistently there, and will resume "normal" operation after a few minutes, but then it will pop again a few hours later.....just seems odd - thank you so much! :)

wolfsburgfan 03-28-2012 07:51 AM

That means your switch is disconnected.

rspi 03-28-2012 09:49 AM

Mine does that in instant mpg mode every once in a while. I usually switch it and it comes back. I think the computer is busy doing something else, like a hick-up.

tomecsi 03-28-2012 12:35 PM

My switch does the disc thing sometimes too. i think the switch is going bad. just switch to different position and then back and its fine.