Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/)
-   -   what kind of spark plug? platinum, copper . iridium? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/what-kind-spark-plug-platinum-copper-iridium-64113/)

gentlejax2 07-09-2012 06:44 AM

what kind of spark plug? platinum, copper . iridium?

need to know what kind to get or not get. I know some will say get them from dealer or volvo branded...

I am more concerned with the type not the label

99 s70 t5

rspi 07-09-2012 11:51 AM

Whatever type the oem ones are.

gentlejax2 07-09-2012 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by rspi (Post 321824)
Whatever type the oem ones are.

somehow I knew you were going to say that exact thing.

Volvo doesnt make spark plugs so I am really not going to rush to dealer to get some that say Volvo on the package knowing they are made by various other companies.

like I said, more concerned on what type works best but I will look up OEM and see what they are.

the problem with that is the OEM plug may not be the better plug for my car 13yrs later after it was built.

Pej 07-09-2012 03:00 PM

I have the same car as you and I got the Volvo ones from fcpgroton. You wanna know why? Because everyone seems to have a different opinion about this and I'd rather stick to what the car was supposed to have, for a reasonable price.

gentlejax2 07-09-2012 03:19 PM

I read your thread. I also saw where a Volvo mechanic said to use nGK. I have used nGK in my jap car and in my 5.0 when I had them.

I have also seen posts saying Bosch was crap which is also what fcgroton sells.

What the car was made with back in 99 might not be what works best today 2012.

I am mainly trying to find Out the type best suited for our car in 2013. Back in 99 you had 1 choice maybe 2. Now there are 4 or more kinds. Kinds not brands.

Unless I see some info telling my why a plug that says "Volvo" on it is special over all others then I am not paying $10 a plug.

I am def not saying all plugs are same. I am saying there are enough people with experience to figure out what works best and which to avoid.

I have never used iridium in any car. Just platinum, double plat or copper.

There are way too many things in this world mass produced at one place and labeled differently and then sold at various prices for exact same thing.

I am not paying for label.

pitrow 07-09-2012 03:28 PM

I think most people here who have tried other brands/types of plugs find they don't work as well as the factory stock ones, which is why you'll mostly get that as your answer.

You seem pretty stuck on the mindset that there must be something better. Whether that's true or not remains to be seen, but I'd venture a guess that given the majority of the people say OEM, then so far there is not anything better. If you want a definitive answer it's probably going to come down to you buying a few different types and testing them yourself.

Me, I'd rather spend the $10 on a plug that I know works, than spend $9 on an iridium plug that may or may not be better, or may or may not be worse.

gentlejax2 07-09-2012 03:39 PM

I am not bent on buying iridium or whatever.

I am just not paying $10 for a copper plug that's says "Volvo" unless someone can tell me why a plug that says volvo is better than one that says ngk.

Especially when I know the plugs were made at same place.

All I really want to know is what tyPe the oem are. If they are platinum then I will probably get that.

I don't ever buy plugs based on gimmicks and marketing.

Pej 07-09-2012 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by gentlejax2 (Post 321846)
I read your thread. I also saw where a Volvo mechanic said to use nGK. I have used nGK in my jap car and in my 5.0 when I had them.

I have also seen posts saying Bosch was crap which is also what fcgroton sells.

What the car was made with back in 99 might not be what works best today 2012.

I am mainly trying to find Out the type best suited for our car in 2013. Back in 99 you had 1 choice maybe 2. Now there are 4 or more kinds. Kinds not brands.

Unless I see some info telling my why a plug that says "Volvo" on it is special over all others then I am not paying $10 a plug.

I am def not saying all plugs are same. I am saying there are enough people with experience to figure out what works best and which to avoid.

I have never used iridium in any car. Just platinum, double plat or copper.

There are way too many things in this world mass produced at one place and labeled differently and then sold at various prices for exact same thing.

I am not paying for label.

You're right, I did have a thread about that and ended up with the Volvo ones. And I agree with you about people sticking a label on something and charging more for it(with many many things), it's just that in this case I couldn't find what the Volvo ones really were made of so I paid for the peace of mind that they work, although I could swear and it just makes sense to me that they would be Bosch plugs.
BTW they were platinum they weren't copper, the volvo ones I got that is.

As for newer technologies, I know my mechanic swears by those e3 ones on his s80 but I decided to stick to original. Maybe try that out and see, mixed reviews.

If you find something good for cheaper let me know, and if it's those Bosch platinums which I have a feeling they are I really wouldn't be surprised.