Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   07 S80 V8 Rear Brake Pad Change (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/07-s80-v8-rear-brake-pad-change-53891/)

2b555 05-15-2011 01:29 PM

07 S80 V8 Rear Brake Pad Change

Pulled the rear wheel and beheld what those designers created in there. Pretty cool stuff. Got the caliper off and the old pads out. Tried to compress the piston to create the spacing needed to get the new pads over the rotor - without success.

I had done a quick look online yesterday and saw a passing comment regarding the need to turn while compressing the piston or some such craziness. I noted that the piston was cut out at 120 degree intervals to accommodate a tool that very well could turn the piston.

Stuck, back in went the old pads and here I sit at my computer hoping one of you folks have some experience with this that you can share.

Do I need a special tool? Can a mere mortal with simple tools get the pad change done?

By the way, if I haven't embarrassed myself sufficiently yet, how does this grab you? Couldn't quickly locate the brake fluid reservoir either. Is this some sort of Easter egg hunt that the engineers built into this car? It has to be hidden beneath some plastic panel somewhere. I suppose I could crack the manual. Will need it out to record a successful brake pad change anyhooo.... With any luck that is

Appreciate the help.
Bruce.

jlewisinsyr 05-16-2011 06:27 AM

There is a tool you need, it's actually not that uncommon, my Lincoln had the same general designed caliper.

Volvos rock 05-17-2011 09:40 AM

Resevoir is under the cowl, round cover below drivers wiper. (you should have seen how long I searched for the trans dipstick:eek:). From what I have found out, with the electric parking brake, there is a torx screw on the back of the caliper that has to be backed out, then the caliper can be compressed, without spinning it. (1 post said spin it in, 1 post said don't spin it in as it will screw the seals up?). All that being said I have NOT done the rear brakes yet and my referance point is our 09 S80 3.2. When it is time I am lucky enough to have a service writer at the dealer who will get me needed answers and two friends who own shops that will check stuff out on Alldata or the like:D These cars, EUCD S80s, are definately interesting to an old school gear head:cool:

tony1963 05-17-2011 05:42 PM

These designs are a pain. The tool to do this is not much fun, either. You have to spin and spin and spin the pistons and finally they will recess into the caliper. It adds an hour or more to a brake job and serves absolutely no purpose that I have ever seen.

Volvos rock 05-17-2011 08:01 PM

Good to know, where did u get the tool from?, manufacturer?

AlbertF 12-13-2014 11:37 AM

I bought a set of Volvo pads. Lo and behold, the instructions to back off the caliper were on the paper in the box! No special tool is required, just the torx driver.

I will say that I think the electric parking brake is a solution looking for a problem. The old cable-operated handbrake worked perfectly.

ES6T 12-13-2014 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by AlbertF (Post 40197)

I will say that I think the electric parking brake is a solution looking for a problem. The old cable-operated handbrake worked perfectly.

Until the shoes came apart, causing the rotor to bind and rip the cable out and damage the knuckle.

Goldmandan 01-03-2018 04:48 PM

very true! Had that happen on our 07 XC70. The shoes got stuck in the drum of the rear e brake and broke a piece off the carrier.... needless to say no e brakes on this car anymore....