Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   1999 S80 need advice (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/1999-s80-need-advice-2853/)

toetag 09-25-2005 09:16 AM

1999 S80 need advice

Hi,

I am having some issues with my S80.

I am going to list the issues.

1) Transmission Service Required
2) Brake Failure Stop Safely ASAP
3) STC Service Required
4) Power Steering Service Required

I seem to be having issues with the majority of my warning lights coming on. I have recently had the car taken to midas and they replaced a fuel pump and spent nearly 1,000.00. Prior to that, in June, new water pump, serpintine belt, timing belt gaskets etc.. I have also recently taken the car to get an oil change and a transmission flush.

Since then I have lost my power steering (only on occasion), I get a warning saying that there is a Brake Failure and to pull over ASAP, transmission service required warning, STC service required.

When i turn the car off the power steering begins to work again and the brake failure will go away. However, when i go over a bump in the road it will come back on. I find it really difficult to beleive that all of these things are the issue at the same time. There must be something that ties all of this in causing the issue. I know i am not an expert, but i would really like to get this resolved I can not keep spending 1000.00 every month and would appreciate resolve.

Thank you,

Michael

EmailBenn 09-25-2005 08:22 PM

RE: 1999 S80 need advice

First thing you might want to do is take it to Autozone or some place similar and get the codes pulled.

tech 09-25-2005 11:30 PM

A bad ABS module will cause all the lights to come on like that.

You can remove the ABS module and have someone rebuild it.

There is a place in West Palm Beach that rebuilds them. Im not sure of the name I have heard of people talk about it.
They said it was like $75.00 for the rebuild.

toetag 11-20-2005 09:51 AM

I know it has been a while, but I wanted to let you know that the ABS module was the issue. I could not have it rebuilt because I moved from Florida and now live in PA, so i ended up getting a new one. Cost me a good chunk, but its running well. Thanks for the info tech. You seem to know more about these cars than anyone else I have met. Thanks again.

tech 11-20-2005 10:39 AM

No problem Im glad I could help. You should have been able to ship the module to West Palm and have it rebuilt.

JCVolvoS80 12-06-2005 01:16 AM

It's only 75 dollars for a rebuild? Man, including labor, I shelled out 730 dollars to have a new ABS module installed, and in addition to that I had a new ignition switch put in, and my throttle body cleaned for 1300 and change. I do have a warning light question, though. My "Brake Failure-Service Immediately" light is coming on. Could this mean I need to change my brake fluid, or could something else be wrong? What if it's a faulty ABS module? I'm lookin for some possibilities, but My friend's got a portable OGB2 computer (i think thats what it is) and it will get the codes, and then I can look them up. I hope this doesn't mean another few hundred dollars.

Tech, I don't think I told you this, but a kid hit me in my school parking lot doin about 30 (I wasn't in my car, it was parked). And he hit me into someone else's car, causing a total of about 9000 dollars. He has a 1999 BMW 323i and he hit my S80 into a little Hyundai Tiburon. My car was 3700, his was 4500, and the other guy's car was about 600. It's in the shop right now for a new front end, a new back end, and the guy called it a "quarter panel" and part of the unibody frame were curled in. Cosmetically, it's not too bad, but he's paying out his @$$.

tech 12-06-2005 01:29 AM

Yes get the codes pulled first.

OUCH sorry to hear about that. Must be nice to be a kid driving a BMW.