Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   1999 S80 T6, Please Help. (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/1999-s80-t6-please-help-44422/)

ben0341 08-11-2010 10:01 PM

1999 S80 T6, Please Help.

I just got a 1999 Volvo S80 T6, only has 60,500 miles and is in excellent condition! I only paid 6500 with my trade in so I got a great deal. I only got a 1000 for my trade in so it was originally 7500.

Anyways I have read a lot of reviews and heard some ups and downs. I have no problems yet, "knock on wood". The only thing is that i went out there today and the air was on and my key wasn't in the ignition! Does anyone know why this happens and if it is normal. Also will this drain my battery all the way? I put the key in and started it and it turned off when I shut the car off again. It also has a very very small tick when I start it but goes away right away. I am pretty sure it is fine, but just curious if anyone has one and knows of any known issues, and also if theres some preventative maintenance I can do to prevent some problems from happening, for it being a 1999 and only being a one owner ( carfax) with 60k its in awesome condition! Appreciate the help. Also heard about a software upgrade that helps some things, but called a few volvo service shops and they say that you shouldnt do the software update until there is something wrong, they were charging $190 US dollars for all the software updates....thanks everyone!:)

jlewisinsyr 08-12-2010 11:43 AM

Personally, $7,500 for a 1999, even with the miles seems really high, even in great condition. I would guess market value would be closer to $6,000 - $6,500 before trade.

The fan is normal, it helps dry the vent system, although some have reported these being stuck on at times and draining the battery (although it might also be a completely unrelated situation and they are just attributing it to the fan).

The weakest part of the car is the transmission, they are very weak for the cars in part to their GM design. Software upgrades are common on these cars, especially as you move up in years, but usually you don't bother with updates unless you are getting work done. These cars are very computerized so things are very expensive to fix, so understand a simple repair of a component can be $500 plus.

Other points to help you on your road of ownership, use proper fuel (ie. 91 Octane) and I would highly recommend synthetic oil. At minimum follow the recommended maintenance schedule.

ben0341 08-12-2010 04:08 PM

I looked up the value before I bought it , it was 9500 and I looked on numerous sites. Got it from a dealer , has paperwork for the tranny being replaced in 09 an I called Volvo today and all 5 recalls have been done from the previous owner. It's a one owner and I also called San Diego Volvo and the car was taken in every 6 months for scheduled maintenance. It's in the best condition I've ever Seen a 99 in. Thanks alot for the reply, sets me at ease a bit.