Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   2000 Volvo S80 - ABS Control Unit? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/2000-volvo-s80-abs-control-unit-75164/)

joliedell 11-30-2013 04:25 PM

2000 Volvo S80 - ABS Control Unit?

Hey everyone, new here to the forums!

Unfortunately, my 2000 Volvo S80 2.9L with 128,000 miles has lit up like a christmas tree.

The Check Engine Light is on, ABS Service Required, STC Service required, Traction control light is on, and Service light is on.

The car still drives somewhat normal, the odometer and rpm gauges work. Recently when taking a sweeping turn the car will begin to shake, almost like it is going over those bumps on the highway meant to keep drivers awake (I hope that makes sense). Also, when I brake there are times it sounds like the brakes are "rubbing/grinding." My alignment is off (veers left) ever since I had the tie rod and control arms changes a couple months back. Not sure if the tires or the engine is giving that "bumpy" feedback.

Not sure exactly what to do, I am located in NY. But very low on $ :(

Anyone have any recommendations? If it is the ABS Control Unit then I can mail it to a guy in California (Victor) for about $150, not too bad. But I don't know for sure if it is the ABS Control Unit/Module.

Please helppp :confused::confused::confused:

Thank you so much!

_val 12-02-2013 04:12 AM

I'd try this one:
http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?p=46827

75ohm 12-06-2013 04:00 PM

The car is drivable in this condition; however, you likely need to pull the ATE ABS unit and send it off for rebuild. Cold solder joints and component failures. It's not hard to get to... but will take an E-torx to get to it... if memory serves correct, an E6... but I'd have to double check my kit at home to make sure. Four access points.

I sent mine off to modulemaster... came back perfect...

ModuleMaster rebuilds ABS modules for as low as $100, 2 day average turn-around, 5 Year Guarantee

More info:

ModuleMaster | Volvo S80 Info

If you do pull it and need to drive the vehicle, cover the exposed seals with a couple of plastic bags and tape or tie into place.

_val 12-07-2013 08:57 AM

How can they charge 100$ for a 20-30 minutes of work, including module cutting open. LOL.

joliedell 12-10-2013 11:14 PM

Found someone to do it for around $50, but I am hoping that this is the problem or else I will have to spend time/money to get it removed and then put back in as well :(

75ohm 12-16-2013 04:02 PM

Any luck yet?

joliedell 03-06-2014 03:24 PM

no update yet, haven't had the money to spare to send it off. I did buy an E5 torx socket, I might try and do it myself following

http://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/for...ic.php?p=46827

but im worried that even after fixing the module it won't fix the shuddering type movement the car has when turning and accelerating...

edit: maybe the abs pump is causing it

joliedell 03-16-2014 11:15 PM

So after speaking to a few people they are pretty certain that the abs control unit given the 8619538 part number. Have to go another route now, not sure why the abs, cel, traction, service, lights are on. Was told to try and do an abs scan....

Anyone know a spot in the queens, ny area, to go to that is legit and not too pricey? On a super tight budget unfortunately. :mad:

joliedell 03-17-2014 02:43 PM

also a bit random but any recommendations on motor oil and filter. i think if i bring the oil and filter to someone they would charge $10 to do the oil change. i didnt like the oil or the place i let them do it before (groupon). any ideas on whats the best bang for your buck? Royal Purple 10W-30 High Performance Synthetic? Is 6 quarts good?

haven't done a synthetic oil change in a very very long time...

thanks for any advice!

theloit 03-17-2014 06:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK I'm going to chime in here as I just got through this abs thing with my 1999 Volvo s80. You are correct that that ABS part number you listed very rarely fails. I have the same abs part number and had the xmas tree dash board with check engine light on ABS light on message center "Brake failure stop safely ASAP" etc. Check to see if power to fuse 8,9 (ABS) is detected at the driver side fuse box. Mine was not detected at the drivers side fuse box indicating that the CEM Relay A (CMA3) (Relay A in the picture attached below) was bad. I pulled the CEM panel and swapped the relays A and B (they are the same). All the dash board lights returned to normal but the relay swap cut power to my passenger seat, cig lighters and radio (non essentials) indicating the bad relay moved. I ordered two new Volvo relays plugged them in and bam no more issues. If you do not wish to test the fuses for power (simple with a multi meter) just swap those relays on the CEM and see what happens. Let us know what you find.

joliedell 03-20-2014 04:55 PM

^ ok thanks i will definitely try that!

i wonder if this will fix the feedback/shuddering feeling i get when i hit the accelerator when turning or shifting lanes. that might be something to do with my suspension?

theloit 03-20-2014 06:45 PM

One thing at a time. Swap those relays and get all those warning lights back to normal (if indeed its the relay). That shuddering is minor compared to the ABS malfunction/warning lights. Many things can contribute to that shudder. Does it happen when the tranny is shifting? Never shudders on straight driving? Only when turning or changing lanes? Let us all know the results of the relay swap. Wishing you luck that it is indeed a $20.00 relay.

TrekOn 04-02-2014 12:42 PM

Had a similar problem (with the ABS control unit) a while back on my 2004 S80. My mechanic refurbished it but it ran fine only for a few weeks before giving out again. Ended up getting it replaced (out of pocket about $1300 for parts and labor).
The other problem with the shaking etc sounds more like an axle/alignment issue and is probably not related.

theloit 04-02-2014 06:35 PM

Any update joliedell?