Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   2001 S80 2.9l continues to crank but doesnt turn on (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/2001-s80-2-9l-continues-crank-but-doesnt-turn-94921/)

vwynn 12-19-2017 08:42 PM

2001 S80 2.9l continues to crank but doesnt turn on

Before i start i just want to confess i searched everything about these S80s regarding starting issues and tried everything i could think of.

Problem: The car only cranks but doesnt catch and start. It continues to crank for however long i want it to crank. but nothing else. That rules out the starter

Things ive done
-Checked for spark. With the coilpack out i checked to see if i could see it arching to the flat head i had by it... saw a faint spark. Am i suppose to see something brighter?
-Replaced spark plugs - Didnt help
-Replaced Camshaft sensor (was getting P0014 and found it might be caused by that) Didnt help much
-Replaced Crank sensor - Still doesnt start
-Checked the fuel pressure at the rail and say ~50psi when the pumps are priming.
-Checked all fuses in the engine bay and the ones in the trunk. Looked good.
-Cleaned the electronic trottlebody since it was filthy. and made sure there wasnt any crazy oil build up. I replaced the oil canister some 30k miles ago.
-Timing belt and other pulleys/belts replaced maybe 5k miles ago.

What else should i check for?

Any help would be appreciated

thommykent 12-20-2017 04:17 PM

Check that the ECM is getting powered, It could maybe be the immobilizer. You`ve checked most of what I would think it could be. For sure disconnect the battery for 30 mins and try that.

vwynn 12-20-2017 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by thommykent (Post 454511)
Check that the ECM is getting powered, It could maybe be the immobilizer. You`ve checked most of what I would think it could be. For sure disconnect the battery for 30 mins and try that.

How do you check if the ECM is getting power? read the pinouts?

I was thinking it could be the immobilizer however im not getting an immobilizer message on the dash and the car turns. oh and ive tried disconnecting the battery. I actually had it out of the car (charging) since i ended up draining much of the battery cranking it.

Update: I checked for spark again, this time all 6 coil packs and it seems like im getting weak spark on 1 or 2 of the coilpacks and no spark on one. Will need to check again once i charge the battery since it was weak again from all the cranking.

thommykent 12-20-2017 11:33 PM

Just suggestions, don`t know answers

vwynn 12-29-2017 01:02 AM

So good news sort off... The car starts up like normal... Not sure how or what happened but it works and is drivable..

Current cell code shoes p0011 but not sure how legit it is since I have a cheap Bluetooth scanner.