Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   2001 S80 Overheating!!! (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/2001-s80-overheating-39745/)

mk_s40 03-10-2010 10:28 PM

2001 S80 Overheating!!!

Well i was driving my 2001 S80 non - turbo a couple of months ago with the A/C on and i noticed the engine was overheating and i pulled it over to give it time to cool off. And again, i started driving again but without A/C on around 45 mins after it overheated to cool off and this time it didn't overheat. Drove it so i can take it back home. Checked for leaks of any sort and nothing, all seemed normal.

Anyways during this 2 month period between then and now i have been driving the car with no problems until just a few days ago. This time it overheated again (wasn't using A/C this time) and left me stranded in an underground tunnel with all the coolant bubbling and smoking out of the reservoir and this time i really had to tow it back home as i was too far away from home. :o

Ok now the next day after i towed it back home i flushed the old leftover coolant and shoved a water hose in the reservoir to clean everything internally (topped up with new coolant) and left the car on idle to see if it will start overheating and nothing happens this time, the temperature needle just stops at halfway (like normal) and i've also been driving it again the last 2 or 3 days to see if it happens but nothing happens except one message has appeared on the screen saying "Emission System Service Required". :mad:

Note: the car has always been on "MAX" coolant level the first time and the second time it overheated and i have checked the pipes for any cracks in them for leakage but it still overheats every now and then.

Recent things i have done to remedy the problem about the "Emission System Service Required" screen are:
  • Cleaned the Throttle Body myself (due to rough idling before all this happened, cleaned it approx 2.5 months ago, apparently this is a known problem with the S80's and it has not been excessively rough idling since then)
  • Changed the spark plugs myself also just about a month ago.
Now could the "Emission" light reminder be for the fuel filter or something similar?!

Thanks for any help. :)

air force rascal 03-11-2010 12:22 AM

Did you test it with the HEATER ON..? That should circulate the water completely through the system...soumds like a Thermostat that is stuck shut...if you don't get any heat in the car with the heater on.

mk_s40 03-11-2010 08:19 AM

No i haven't tested it that way yet. But i will as soon i get the chance to drive it again. Should the heater on full blast or it doesn't really matter because it's still pretty hot here in Australia LOL. Nah joking i don't really mind it doesn't really bother me. :)

Does the "Emission System Service Required" light have anything to do with the car overheating?

Thanks

Marko

tech 03-11-2010 08:53 PM

Well the light might lead you in a direction that will tell you why it is overheating.
Do you hear the cooling fan coming on?

mk_s40 03-12-2010 02:38 AM

The light that comes on is a "Fault in car emissions system" according to the manual.

When i was driving the car the cooling fan didn't turn on. But i was driving the car long enough for the motor to overheat and it did not overheat.

Will turning on the heater like Air Force Rascal said help remedy the problem?

Thanks

Marko

tech 03-12-2010 07:24 PM

It could. But I would have the codes read out of the system.

mk_s40 03-30-2010 09:21 AM

Ok. Sorry i haven't been here or replied for a while as i have been busy and haven't had the chance to get the codes pulled from the car. But i have got them yesterday and the computer managed to pull 3 separate codes and the mechanic has written them on the paper as follows::

ECM-6110
Engine cooling fan (FC) relay / Electronic cooling fan relay. No signal:signal to high / low missing. Permanent Intermittent fault.

ECM-262A
Long term - term fuel trim upper lower limit.

ECM-272A
Adaptive lamba control, Bank 2 upper / lower / bottom limit.

These codes are exactly copied from the list the mechanic wrote down and gave me, more than half of these stuff i have never actually heard of before. :confused:

Thanks

Marko

mk_s40 04-09-2010 07:25 PM

Anyone please?

tech 04-09-2010 07:35 PM

Is the cooling fan working?

Also sounds like you might have a vacuum leak and or bad O2 sensor.

mk_s40 04-15-2010 02:41 AM

Yes. Actually everything seems to be working fine now weirdly. The cooling fan turns on and works fine. But the message "Emission System Service required" is still on. I told my mechanic to clear the code but 3 days since then it has come back on the display.

I guess i have to send it back and see what they find. When they fix it i will let you guys know of the outcome. Thanks for the help Tech and Air Force Rascal.

Marko

jmallie 04-15-2010 09:48 AM

Adaptive lamba control, Bank 2 upper / lower / bottom limit sounds like an oxygen sensor problem. Does the first code suggest an intermitent problem with your fan? If it does, that could explain the occassional overheating.