Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   2002 Volvo S80 - Buy or not to buy? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/2002-volvo-s80-buy-not-buy-34992/)

JurassicJet 10-03-2009 12:31 PM

2002 Volvo S80 - Buy or not to buy?

Hello all:

New to the forum.

Currently own a 2001 Saab 9-5 with 118k miles on it. The turbo charger is leaking oil into the intake and the thing is going to need tires and potentially some other stuff. If the turbo goes, it will be at least $500 for parts. I do most of my own work so labor is free (except the value of my time and getting tired of working on cars).

Soooooooo..... I found a 2002 Volvo S80 (non turbo). 102K miles. Same owner since March of 2003. He has all of the service records for it too and it is a very clean car. Asking $6900 for it.

So, what are the weak points of this car? I did a little searching here and transmission might be an issue but looks like that issue only went until 2001? Normal wear parts (belt, shocks, etc.) are expected and I don't consider those issues with any cars.

Am I nuts for wanting to get rid of my Saab and buy this Volvo?

nicolaselias 10-03-2009 02:00 PM

Well, if you decide to go with that make sure the timing belt job, belt, idler, tensioner has been done.. If not, you are looking to do that ASAP because you can read the risks in the t-belt sticky...
You are not crazy though, the 02 s80 is a great car and has been good to me so far!

How much you think you can get for the Saab? Enough to justify selling?

JurassicJet 10-03-2009 04:38 PM

Thanks nicolaselias. I will check out the sticky on the belt.

I bought the Saab for $4600 (personally I thought it was a good deal). It is absolutely spotless as far as the body and interior are concerned. If I could come close to getting out what I have into that would be close enough for me.

Am I correct regarding the transmission issues ending in '01? I just want to make sure that I don't end up with a car that is going to need a tranny.

nicolaselias 10-03-2009 06:38 PM

Hi man, from what I understand all the s80s have the horrible 4 speed GM transmission, possibly improved from 02 onward but definitely not rest easy...

Apart from lack of reliability, it gets confused easily, eg, hard on the throttle then back off the throttle, back on the throttle hard... tranny doesnt really know what to do... ie. it would never actually gear up, so you end up jerking.. Not sure if this is more a consequence of the trans or etm.. I prefer throttle cable, I found it responds quicker.. but anyway..

The only thing I can suggest is look at the trans fluid on the car and see what sort of colour it is, you dont want anything that looks like it hasnt been maintained...

jmallie 10-03-2009 09:23 PM

The T6 seems to have more trans problems than the non-turbo version. My 02 T6 has 102k & no trans problems. I did change the fluid and filter at 80k.