Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   2004 S80 T6 ABS Module Replacement? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/2004-s80-t6-abs-module-replacement-71755/)

spankey 06-21-2013 08:35 PM

2004 S80 T6 ABS Module Replacement?

Guys, My ABS module might have gone bad. I lost my cruise control and the ABS light is on. I seen where guys have sent theirs out to be rebuilt. I was wondering if there was a way I could find another one used and then take the car to a shop to re program the computer system. I have a body shop down the road that specializes in foreign cars, Audi, BMW and Volvo and Mercedes. I was told they have all the computer stuff to program all the cars....

Anyone have any ideas and or info on how I can obtain another one? I want to be sure I get one that matches my car make and such?

I can't get under the ABS module to see what model or serial it has? Any ideas? Possibly the VIN number????

Thanks for your help and assistance!
Spank.

spankey 06-21-2013 08:41 PM

After doing some reading, I wonder if it's the Brake pedal position sensor but how do I rule either out? Also any easy way to get to the Brake pedal position sensor?

Thanks!!!!

torontos80t62000 06-21-2013 10:52 PM

Remove the negative battery lead unplug the sensor under hood and attach or hold a multimeter to the sensor fins. Put the car in neutral with the E-brake on and you or someone press down on the brake pedal inward and out ward ,then stop half way use the 20ohms reading setting, record the numbers on paper, get back to me ...or just pull it apart like i did .!! Check out my picture album I have a step by step instruction on how to remove and fix the sensor with lots of how to info..you could also try and start with a used one for 50-75$ if that operation seems a little much..if i had a used or new one the repair would have been a 10 minute fix ....but i say DIY its easy in my opinion

P.S get back to me asap i just had a night mare with my ABS lights...check my (ABSlights,ignition switch,ball joint,cooling fan,electrical problems,all repairs) post
--------it cost me 5$ to remove the ABS LIGHTS problem hunker down the post "its a big one!"read up to the last post please buddy!

my pet monster is driving wonderful at the moment !

spankey 06-23-2013 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by torontos80t62000 (Post 357076)
Remove the negative battery lead unplug the sensor under hood and attach or hold a multimeter to the sensor fins. Put the car in neutral with the E-brake on and you or someone press down on the brake pedal inward and out ward ,then stop half way use the 20ohms reading setting, record the numbers on paper, get back to me ...or just pull it apart like i did .!! Check out my picture album I have a step by step instruction on how to remove and fix the sensor with lots of how to info..you could also try and start with a used one for 50-75$ if that operation seems a little much..if i had a used or new one the repair would have been a 10 minute fix ....but i say DIY its easy in my opinion

P.S get back to me asap i just had a night mare with my ABS lights...check my (ABSlights,ignition switch,ball joint,cooling fan,electrical problems,all repairs) post
--------it cost me 5$ to remove the ABS LIGHTS problem hunker down the post "its a big one!"read up to the last post please buddy!

my pet monster is driving wonderful at the moment !

How can you even get to this part! Between the ATF dipstick, the brake fluid reservoir and the other parts. I can hardly get my hand to even tough this thing! I think it is the brake pedal position sensor because I lost my cruise. I also lost my odometer also! Maybe a shop can do this and replace the part better than I can?

doublebug 06-24-2013 06:27 AM

If you lost odometer reading that means BCM module is probably dead.

spankey 06-24-2013 07:03 AM

Just we're clear I only have no cruise and odometer when the abs light is on! When it's off I then have full function of both the cruise and odometer.

Thanks

doublebug 06-24-2013 07:26 AM

that means that BCM is not completely dead.
When ABS light is on that means BCM module is not responding.
Engine ECU is also using brake sensor via BCM so it is not available and cruise is not working.

spankey 06-24-2013 08:09 AM

Oh ok! Makes sense! I ordered another BCM from Erie Volvo for $150. Said it had 80,000 on it. Hoping to get about 50,000 out of it. Now I need to find and purchase the E5 torx head

torontos80t62000 07-05-2013 07:12 AM

Sorry, I was at cottage for a few weeks. I was wrong boudlebug was right....hes the man on this post...2004s are very different to my baby

spankey 07-05-2013 07:45 AM

Sorry it was my abs module! It's replaced and all fixed now! Lights gone and my odometer and my cruise r back! God I missed the cruise control!!!!
Thanks

doublebug 07-05-2013 08:26 AM

torontos80t62000, I've read you thread. Hope you've really done it and everything will be fine. But these problems are for 99-01 model years (we have some cars like yours one). 2004 is different.

torontos80t62000 07-05-2013 03:19 PM

Yes every car is different.......I was wrong on that one....but so glad you helped him get to the issue .. I totally agree with you double bug but I thought the 04s hardly had this problem.......nice one bug

rhhjr 06-16-2017 07:30 AM

Does a used BCM need to be re-programmed?

Originally Posted by spankey (Post 358419)
Sorry it was my abs module! It's replaced and all fixed now! Lights gone and my odometer and my cruise r back! God I missed the cruise control!!!!
Thanks

Did you need to get it programmed after replacing with a used BCM? Was it driveable after replacing the BCM? @spankey @doublebug

spankey 06-16-2017 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by rhhjr (Post 448585)
Did you need to get it programmed after replacing with a used BCM? Was it driveable after replacing the BCM? @spankey @doublebug

no reporgraming. I installed it and off I went!

doublebug 06-17-2017 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by spankey (Post 448589)
no reporgraming. I installed it and off I went!

You just lucky. Config of donor car was the same as yours.

spankey 06-17-2017 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by doublebug (Post 448607)
You just lucky. Config of donor car was the same as yours.

Um, yeah! I used Erie Volvo parts outfit out of NY called them told them my model, got one? Why wouldn't you match the car? Why take that risk?!!!!

you wouldn't request an S40 ABS module for an S80 would you?

RDelp 06-25-2017 11:12 AM

I used p/n 9496931on my 2000 s80 . it was from a Volvo SUV.