Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   2004 Volvo S80 2.5 AWD base (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/2004-volvo-s80-2-5-awd-base-50981/)

unirok 03-03-2011 02:03 AM

2004 Volvo S80 2.5 AWD base

1 Attachment(s)
I am in the middle of purchasing a 2004 Volvo S80 2.5 AWD Base model. Actually is there a way to tell if its a base model or not? Does not have fogs so I assume its a Base model. Anywau been driving it for about 1 montn with dealer plates to make sure I like the car. It has 71,000 miles on it right now.

problems.

1 passenger headlight flickers on and off and sometimes shuts off completely but comes back on once i cycle the light switch.

2 makes a strange sound in front when makin a sharp left turn when cold

3 how do i remove a wiper on the headlight so i can re align it?

No check engine lights etc. from the pic is there a way to tell which base model my S80 is. I have driven many S80 T6 models but I need awd and like th performance of the 5 speed auto.

My previous car was a Audi Allroad 2.7 Biturbo so yeah the S80 2.5 is a big drop in performance but I plan on getting the car chipped if i keep it. I wish the 2.5 were more rifined sounding but other than that I love the car and have received many compliments on it.

Thanks
Chris

Attachment 19951

akabond 03-04-2011 10:34 AM

https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/my-volvo-s80-awd-50123/

oo i thought u already purchases it ?? i remember posting a comment on that car. It looks nice..so i guess from last post u did not actually purchased it?

NoLifeTilBoost 03-04-2011 01:40 PM

i5s (including Audis) arent meant to be refined, they are meant to snarl and growl hehe :)

Peak peformance between the Allroad Biturbo and the 2.5 should be close enough, you just wont have the same bottom-end pull that the Audi had. I probably would have went T6 and put winter boots on it rather than going with AWD, but thats just me.

#1 Tiring ballast?
#2 Is the noise proportional to road speed?
#3 Just pull the wiper back just like a windscreen wiper (maybe im missing something)

jlewisinsyr 03-04-2011 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by unirok (Post 259266)
1 passenger headlight flickers on and off and sometimes shuts off completely but comes back on once i cycle the light switch.

Sounds like a ballast issue.

2 makes a strange sound in front when makin a sharp left turn when cold

Clicking, whining, how about a little more description.

3 how do i remove a wiper on the headlight so i can re align it?

At the base of the headlight wiper, where it connects to the spindle, there is a little plastic cap that pulls out (it's hinged to the wiper, so it won't pull all the way off). There is a nut there, undo the nut, push the base of the wiper towards the light while pulling on the end will release the wiper from the spindle (it's counterpressured to the spindle like a regular wiper arm). Turn the wiper to align and then push back on to the spindle, tighten the nut and close the cap.

unirok 03-06-2011 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by akabond (Post 259527)
https://volvoforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50123

oo i thought u already purchases it ?? i remember posting a comment on that car. It looks nice..so i guess from last post u did not actually purchased it?

I traded my Allroad into the dealer and they sold it. I have been driving the S80 with Dealer Tags for the past month and a half. They are still trying to figure out the headlight issue and since it wont pass inspection here with a bad headlight the paperwork has not been completed to put the car in my name. I work there so its cool cause I have not had to make a payment yet either so its a free loaner but yeah it is my car just not in my name yet.

unirok 03-06-2011 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by jlewisinsyr (Post 259560)
Sounds like a ballast issue.

Clicking, whining, how about a little more description.

At the base of the headlight wiper, where it connects to the spindle, there is a little plastic cap that pulls out (it's hinged to the wiper, so it won't pull all the way off). There is a nut there, undo the nut, push the base of the wiper towards the light while pulling on the end will release the wiper from the spindle (it's counterpressured to the spindle like a regular wiper arm). Turn the wiper to align and then push back on to the spindle, tighten the nut and close the cap.

Thanks i fixed the headlight wiper thanks to your directions. The turning sound is more a whining sound no clicks or thumps and only when first driving the car cold.

unirok 03-06-2011 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by NoLifeTilBoost (Post 259551)
i5s (including Audis) arent meant to be refined, they are meant to snarl and growl hehe :)

Peak peformance between the Allroad Biturbo and the 2.5 should be close enough, you just wont have the same bottom-end pull that the Audi had. I probably would have went T6 and put winter boots on it rather than going with AWD, but thats just me.

#1 Tiring ballast?
#3 Just pull the wiper back just like a windscreen wiper (maybe im missing something)

I considered the T6 but I have driven many at my job and just felt the 2.5 awd would have been more troublefree. The T6 is quicker thats for sure but I think the 5 speed auto makes the best of getting power out of the engine than a 4 speed. If I could have found a S80 Premier that would have been great but its hard to find around here. The S80 I got was the first one we have had with HID headlights as all the other volvos had halogen only. I wish my car had front Fogs as well but what can you do. I would rather have fogs then the wipers on the headlights.

jlewisinsyr 03-06-2011 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by unirok (Post 259735)
Thanks i fixed the headlight wiper thanks to your directions. The turning sound is more a whining sound no clicks or thumps and only when first driving the car cold.

Whining would be the pump. My guess is your fluid might be a little low and until the car warms up and the steering pump warms up and fluid starts moving through the lines it's making a little more noise then normal.

Originally Posted by unirok (Post 259735)
I considered the T6 but I have driven many at my job and just felt the 2.5 awd would have been more troublefree. The T6 is quicker thats for sure but I think the 5 speed auto makes the best of getting power out of the engine than a 4 speed. If I could have found a S80 Premier that would have been great but its hard to find around here. The S80 I got was the first one we have had with HID headlights as all the other volvos had halogen only. I wish my car had front Fogs as well but what can you do. I would rather have fogs then the wipers on the headlights.

The older T6s are pretty problematic thanks to the transmission (although there are not as many complaints with the T6 when you move up in years), so I think going with the 2.5T was a good choice.

HIDs are pretty uncommon in the 1st Gen S80, no doubt, so I think you score good there, but I still find it odd that there are no fogs. I personally love the headlamp washers (whether blades or pop-ups). Living in a cold weather climate with a lot of snow, the washers really do help a lot in terms of keeping the lights clean and clear.

unirok 03-14-2011 12:15 AM

From the picture I attached can anyone tell if my car has any option packages? From what I can tell it has different rims but I was just curious if they came with a package? Thanks

unirok 03-14-2011 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by NoLifeTilBoost (Post 259551)

#1 Tiring ballast?

The noise is like a loud whining sound when making sharp left turns? I would love more low end power seems very linear but relaxed.