Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

2007 S80 Odometer + Cruise Cntrl Stopped and 5 Warning Messages in Information Center

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2021, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 S80 Odometer + Cruise Cntrl Stopped and 5 Warning Messages in Information Center

Odometer stopped working. Stuck on specific mileage number, trip doesn't work either. Also unable to use the
cruise control function. In addition, I'm getting all these information center messages and I'm a bit worried. The car
is an AWD V8, and I think the transmission is being affected as well, there's some harder shifting. These are the info
center messages:

Park assist syst Service required
Collision warn. Service required
Cruise control Service required
ABS / DTSC Service required
Blind spot syst. Reduced function

It's as if something got unplugged somehow, and I have no idea where to start to look. The fuses at least were all ok.

If anyone has suggestions or similar experiences with remedies, please I'm all ears. Haven't posted here in a while,
but love this site. Thanks for any help or info in advance, I really appreciate it.

Old 10-01-2021, 04:13 PM
Received 599 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by midimykeys
I have no idea where to start to look.
Your first step should be to scan the car with an appropriate/compatible scanner that can talk to all of the controls units. VIDA is the best choice but other quality scanners are capable. Could be a network problem, water intrusion into your CEM, you may have a problem in your DIM - the drivers information module or a power problem. Xemodex is a well known source for module repair - but they will want to know what codes are stored.

https://xemodex.com/us/instrument-clusters-for-volvo/

Old 10-02-2021, 12:19 PM

Thanks for the resource Hoonk. My mechanic said the odometer problem is most likely due to a left front speed sensor. He also said that the automatic
transmission is definitely affected because it doesn't know how fast the car is going or when it needs to shift. So, we'll start there. Annnnd of course there
are 3 different part numbers for it. Guess we'll wait until Monday to call the dealer and find out the vin.

Old 10-02-2021, 02:49 PM

My mechanic said the odometer problem is most likely due to a left front speed sensor.
He also said that the automatic transmission is definitely affected because it doesn't know how fast the car is going or when it needs to shift.
If your speedometer works - the transmission knows how fast the car is going. And if the speedometer works - the car (stored in the CEM, displayed on the DIM) knows how far it is been - you can read that info/live data with a good scan tool also.

I trust this left front wheel sensor has been tested? With the appropriate scan tool you can spin the tires and check the output from each sensor. Very rarely (almost never) did I have to replace a wheel speed sensor - and there was always physical damage to it , broken wiring/etc.

I have replaced a bunch of abs control units to make a wheel sensor code go away and fix the abs system - wheel sensor codes are the most common codes in an abs control module when the control module is bad (poor solder connections cause the problems)

Old 10-02-2021, 03:35 PM

I checked all the wiring and it appears to look fine. Just changed the sensor but it did not help. Do you think it might be an ECU issue? All the messages and disabled functions including no BLIS and not able to use cruise control on top of the mileage remaining the same and 4 dashes where the trip mileage should be, in addition to the transmission shifting hard or staying in gear a little longer at times. This all happened at the same time. I guess it's time for VIDAS, which I probably should pickup, because the dealer is so
expensive. Anything else I can try or check before spending more $?

Old 10-02-2021, 04:34 PM

Once again your first step should be a scan with an appropriate scan tool that can talk to all the control units before buying more parts that won't fix it. At this point everything is a guess - Could be a network problem where a rodent chewed some wiring - could have been hit by lightning (have seen that twice)

Old 10-04-2021, 03:41 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default stuck odo

Best bet is to find an independent garage near you to connect a scan tool (preferably VIDA/DiCE) and pull codes. "...as if something got unplugged" sounds like some solder connections let go in the CEM or ABS modules *but* really your cheapest fix (as Hoonk pointed out) would be to scan with something that will poll all the modules and show you all the codes.

Look at it this way: when your spinal cord in your lower back gets pinched, you can have the sensation of pain in various lower extremities that are not in fact injured. By analogy, when you have a problem in a module, you can have a bunch of codes appear from various components and accessories that are not in fact broken. So, one advantage of using VIDA/DiCE is that it has a little network map that will help to show which modules are coding. An experienced technician can use that info to trace problems in the car's network that cause 'false' codes that are mixed in with the real problems.

Hope this context helps you , although I suspect there is something else going on here.

Old 10-12-2021, 05:37 PM

Ok thanks albertj! Will do. I don't have the means in my garage. Just an OBDII scanner, which won't let you know if it's a speed sensor issue even. I bet there's a connection
issue somewhere.

Old 02-02-2022, 08:19 AM
Default Same issue

Ok thanks albertj! Will do. I don't have the means in my garage. Just an OBDII scanner, which won't let you know if it's a speed sensor issue even. I bet there's a connection
issue somewhere.

Good day!

curious if you found the issue….currently having the same faults and believe it’s the CEM with an internal failure

Old 02-02-2022, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by ryandiamond
believe it’s the CEM with an internal failure
Once again your first step should be a scan with an appropriate scan tool that can talk to all the control units before buying more parts that won't fix it. At this point everything is a guess and a waste of time -

Old 04-02-2023, 11:34 AM

the problem is in the ABS sensor, you have to use the original Volvo and the problem is over
I also had the same problem

Old 04-19-2023, 09:37 AM

I just had this same issue. ABS light and Traction control light on dash. Message center "City saftey service required, ABS service required, Traction control service required". Speedometer worked, Odometer and trip meter did not move while driving. Never went anywhere to check if the cruise control worked. Car would go through the ABS check after starting engine and driving, as it always does, but then would not shift or have power for about 30 seconds. Brakes making weird sounds during this 30 seconds also. Then it would drive normal but with the ABS and traction control lights on. Was fortunate to have a local Tire Kingdom check the car with a ABS Scan tool. (and did not charge me!) Right front ABS wheel speed sensor fault. I order one at "Volvopartswebstore.com" after calling to see which of the 2 listed was for my VIN. Did not want to buy an aftermarket unit at Rockauto or elsewhere, thought this part needed to stay OEM. I also searched youtube and found that you can use a multimeter to check continuity on the ABS wheel speed sensor. The old one had no continuity. New one came in and had continuity. Replace with the new one, and back to normal with no fault lights. Although still have message center with "City safety service required". Hoping after a few drives of the car it will reset and go away. 2010XC60 R-design 165K.

Old 04-19-2023, 10:31 AM

Once again your first step should be a scan with an appropriate scan tool that can talk to all the control units before buying more parts that won't fix it. At this point everything is a guess and a waste of time -