Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   2007 S80 V8 Potential Purchase (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/2007-s80-v8-potential-purchase-82870/)

gtopaul 03-08-2015 02:15 PM

2007 S80 V8 Potential Purchase

Looked at this silver w/black interior S80 V8 yesterday with 88k miles on it. It has some light scratches (like from bushes) on one door but otherwise nice cosmetics. I assume it has the sport package since it has the 18" Zubra wheels, three suspension modes, and ventilated seats. It also has some strange cruise control option with something on the dash that lights up red. The car has horrible Kumho tires that look relatively new but the dealership obviously rotated them so the scalloped sections on the outer tread are running backwards now and causing serious tire noise. Question; is tire wear problematic on the AWD cars? Dealer has discounted for a new set of tires. Question; the car has no spare. Has a place for the spare but nothing there not even a donut. Did the car originally come with run flats, hence no spare? I really like the car and the price is $10k with my 01 V70 T5 as a trade in (good shape 132k miles). Car seems to drive well and the suspension modes do noticeably change. Any other problem areas to look for? Thanks.

gtopaul 03-10-2015 09:32 PM

Since there was no response to my inquiry I took a chance and bought the car today. Would have been nice to have had some prior guidance. In any case, the car is Electric Silver Metallic w/black interior, Sport Zubra package, BLIS, Climate package, Adaptive Cruise Control, and PCC. Has an air pump instead of a spare which could be problematic. The tires are horrible so I ordered a new set. Nice set of wheels and it's nice to have a Volvo I feel I can pass with.

MarkoD 03-18-2015 07:48 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I bought a V8 one month ago :)

mt6127 03-18-2015 03:52 PM

tire noise is related to wear. Some cars (like my VW CC) have aggressive toe in for a sportier feel that can lead to tire cupping - and some brands of tires are more prone to early wear than others (The OEM Conti's on VWs take a bashing on the VW boards). AWDs are typically more sensitive to alignments so best to get a high quality 4 point job done. If you know the shop you can ask if there's a "sweet spot" for the specs (I had my dealer do this for my S40 after a tire shop failed to get it right 3 times in a row). You should also check for any suspension wear - tie rods, control arm bushings can also lead to cupping even if the alignment measured to spec.

gtopaul 03-20-2015 08:49 AM

I installed new tires but still somewhat surprised by the amount of road noise present at low speed, 10 - 20mph. The steering also is heavy at this speed and in parking lots my wife finds it cumbersome to maneuver. It's certainly heavier feeling than the V70 I traded in and also more road noise. I'll make an appointment at the local Volvo dealer to get it checked out and to have the DRL's turned off.

MarkoD 03-20-2015 10:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by gtopaul (Post 408089)
I installed new tires but still somewhat surprised by the amount of road noise present at low speed, 10 - 20mph. The steering also is heavy at this speed and in parking lots my wife finds it cumbersome to maneuver. It's certainly heavier feeling than the V70 I traded in and also more road noise. I'll make an appointment at the local Volvo dealer to get it checked out and to have the DRL's turned off.

In my Volvo steering force can be adjusted

Attachment 15587

gtopaul 03-21-2015 01:16 PM

Yep, someone else clued me in about the steering effort setting and it was on the max. I put it on the minimum setting and it is somewhat easier. Wife is out of town until tomorrow but hopefully she'll think so too. Thanks!

gtopaul 05-18-2015 10:12 AM

Ok, I've had the car about two months now and here's what I like about it and don't like about it.

Don't like:

1. Heavy steering at low speed. This car does have the servotronic system and have the menu setting at the easiest position. Replaced the servotronic relay. Dealer agree's it feels heavy but has offered no fix. Living with it for now but wife could say "it's got to go" at any time.
2. Front seats are firm and uncomfortable and don't grip well. Might have something to do with the added heat & cooling capability.
3. Ride is very firm even at comfort setting.
4. Wimpy looking dual exhaust tail pipes. Thinking of changing those.
5. Collision avoidance system. Takes a bit of getting used to especially for an enthusiast driver.
6. No spare tire. Will look into adding a space saver instead of pump.

Like:

1. Styling from the front and back but maybe a little "thick" from side view.
2. Power. The V8 is beautiful.
3. Headroom. I'm 6'6" and can wear a hat. Spouse is 5'2" so seat memory controls and full range of seat adjustment is a big plus.
4. Storage. Plenty for pack rat wife.
5. BLIS. Really getting used to the extra set of eyes.

Would I buy another one? No. Coming off of owning BMWs for the last 20 years this Volvo really doesn't measure up. If it was my primary driver it would be gone already but it's the wives car so if she is good with it so am I.