Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   2011 S80 disables user menus while in motion (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/2011-s80-disables-user-menus-while-motion-48612/)

Ran 12-26-2010 11:26 PM

2011 S80 disables user menus while in motion

Just got a new 2011 S80 T6. Car is awesome with one exception; whenever the car is in motion, most Console and Navigation menus get "Grayed out".
Dealer claimed this is a safety feature, preventing driver from "playing" with the navigation while car is in motion.
The annoying "safety" feature does not allow any manipulation of navigation destination, so if you're low on gas on the highway – tough luck, better find a parking spot before you can look for the closest gas station (and why disable the passenger from using the navi remote control to find a gas-station on the highway?)
Anyone knows if and how this menu lock can be removed?:confused:

jlewisinsyr 12-27-2010 06:29 AM

None that I am aware of and most cars are like this when it comes to menus and vehicle in motion locks.

Ran 12-27-2010 05:19 PM

This is not the case with my '09 XC90, which has similar Navi system. Also was not the case in two previous A6 Audi's I owned.

What's the sense in letting the driver use the center console to search contacts in the phone directory, but disable adding new destination?
This is just bad thinking on Volvo's behalf

I find it hard to believe there is no wiring hack or setting on the on-board computer that will re-enable it.

Rolling19s 01-17-2011 08:07 PM

I have a 2009 Volvo S80 and mine as well does this. Unless you are stopped at a stop sign all the way, at a red light, or sitting in bumper to bumper traffic, you will not get the Navi to go. No clue on if you can disable it, but I am sure you can. I have a friend with a lexus RX and his did the same thing, but if you slip the technicians like 200 bux, they will program it to bypass that feature and even play DVDs.

Do you have any volvo technican friends you can maybe ask or do a favor for? Thats probably your best bet to get that going

Ran 01-22-2011 10:53 PM

Thanks. Will try on my next service. Don't know anyone in person, but with both cars serviced in same shop, maybe I can find someone to do it...
Funny how the 2009 XC90 does not have that 'problem'.

OneSlowBusa 02-17-2011 04:45 PM

Bumping an old thread but the 2007 and up s80's do this with the radio/ car/ equalizer settings as well... if someone does find a way to disable this I would love to know

Ran 02-24-2011 02:00 PM

2011 S80 disables user menus while in motion

Went to the dealership this weekend. Initially they seemed unaware of this behavior, and promised to take care.
They updated he on-board software, but bottom line said "This is how the car is designed to operate. No way to override"
I heard some other makes also lock their Navigation as well while in motion.
For me it's back to Audi with the next car. Can't stand this stupidity.
Greater chance for an accident stopping the car at the side of the road to program a destination then by having the passenger do it while in motion…

jlewisinsyr 02-24-2011 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ran (Post 258245)
Went to the dealership this weekend. Initially they seemed unaware of this behavior, and promised to take care.
They updated he on-board software, but bottom line said "This is how the car is designed to operate. No way to override"
I heard some other makes also lock their Navigation as well while in motion.
For me it's back to Audi with the next car. Can't stand this stupidity.
Greater chance for an accident stopping the car at the side of the road to program a destination then by having the passenger do it while in motion…

I was in my friend's new A4 and remembered this discussion and tried to access the menu's while she was driving and it too locks them out. Didn't try the Nav, but I'm thinking it's the same. I think more and more manufacturer's are disabling their menus while driving under pressure from the government unless the car has a dual screen (the ones you can see from different angles). And lets be honest, more then likely it will/would not be a passenger trying to manipulate the menus, rather the driver, thus the lockout.