Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

89 vs 91 octane.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 02:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 89 vs 91 octane.

2 of those are very American cars. German and other European manufacturers prefer Shell (Dutch). It's V-Power actually works and helps to clean the engine. Mobil is supposed to be reliable due to their good synthetic oils and racing products.

Old 10-12-2005, 12:37 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Add a can of Ventil Sauber and Jectron every so often.............cleans up the injectors and valves and keeps the economy up not to mention helping the throttle body by keeping the carbon down.
R.

Old 10-12-2005, 01:46 PM

That is true. I used to work for the VW Group and if I remember correctly they use Royal Dutch (Shell). I did not mention this because I have not researched this since 2000. The big thing is the deposit control additive package, all will help control deposits in the intake ports, valves but the "cheaper" additives will actually increase combustion chamber deposits. Unfortunately the bigger problem is not the deposit control additive package but using the proper octane in high performance engines. The BEST TOOL is a professional fuel cleaning system. There is nothing that can clean the engine better except for rebuilding the engine. If you want your car to get the best possible gas mileage then clean the engine. I use a professional kit for cleaning the fuel system and I know where to buy an affordable kit so if anyone is interested I can buy one for you. I would have to buy it for you unless you are an auto repair shop and live in the Chicago area then I can tell you where to buy.

The kit costs $500.00 and the cleaner is $6.50 to $8.50 per can. This is not cheap for a person whom does not work on cars full or part time but if you spread out the cost of the kit with family and friends it is very cheap. This kit cover most vehicles. If you are interested or want more info please do not hesitate to PM me. I am in the US so I can not speak with absolute certainty on non us models but it should be compatible.

Note: If you can find a cheaper kit please let me know. Also I NOT am a merchant or reseller.

Old 10-12-2005, 03:29 PM

Pour in fuel system cleaners do not work very well.

Why.

The chemicals will be so diluted that the “wonder product†will be ineffective. Does the product work, sure but if it did nothing at all, law suit time.

Why is this happening?

How many people have the resources and knowledge to really investigate the validity of the claims of the manufactures? Ever head of “snake oil†or “miracle cureâ€? The only thing that has changed is how sophisticated modern commerce has become. The same B.S. of the past is still occurring to day, “trust meâ€. I could be wrong but what if I am not. What vested interest do I have is this, none. If an Electronic Throttle Control Valve needs to be cleaned, why would the rest of the system not need to be cleaned? If the entire fuel system is cleaned then there should be no fouling or very little but in the end nothing lasts forever.

Why does the Government step in?

Cheap gasoline = HAPPY PEOPLE. If cars need to be repaired or do not last as long then more people have an opportunity to trade goods and services (profit). The down side is car owners become disenchanted and the more people complain then changes occur. If no one complains, then nothing ever changes. We have the technology today to solve many of these problems but gasoline would be unaffordable.

How can I complain?

Don’t buy inferior products, write a government official, tell a friend or call the media.

Closing

If the best quality, premium gasoline and proper maintenance are too expensive then buy a cheaper car. I believe that the true problem of the ETC is not poor manufacture but poor quality of engineering. The product might be flawless but in the US I do not believe we have compatible gasoline but at the end of the day a bad product is a bad product. If I am wrong please educate me.

Note: My intent is not to insult anyone or to reply to anyone specifically, time for me to get off the soap box. I am not a writer.

Happy motoring

Old 10-12-2005, 05:17 PM
reg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand your concern re: snake oil. However, I have used the two products that i mentioned for years with tremendous success and will continue to use them. I add the product when I have approximately six or so gallons of petrol in the tank and run it down to the empty mark. Interestingly, BMW reccommends these two products in addition to Chevron petrol. I use Shell. Chevron was the first to utilize Techron which was why BMW reccomends that brand. For years, BMW has had a carbon issue...........indeed, one of my BMWs had the "walnut shell" treatment where, under warranty, BMW fired walnut shells through the head/valves in an effort to clean the carbon. I can not imagine that occuring in to-days market! Lastly, a throttle body cleaning by Volvo every 20,000 miles should (at least on my c-70) keep things nice and tidy..............bear in mind that I run regular fuel in my high pressure turbo and not premium.
r.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:07 AM

All gasoline is pretty much refined in the same manner. As long as you're using 91 and maintaing your car, all should be well. Just stay away from those 3rd-party gas stations.