Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   99 S80 ABS or what (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/99-s80-abs-what-19853/)

uncletom 05-02-2008 10:23 AM

99 S80 ABS or what

I have posted this on another forum months ago and still have same problem.135000 miles and ABS controler was rebuilt 11 months before this new problem. Same symptoms as before with bad controler but now Tac and spedo quit at the same time within 100 miles or so.Car will continue to run,shift and drive fine untill we reach destination but with almost no instriments and all ABS,STC,Stop safley ASAP. Sometimes when you shut off the car it will re-start and and everything will be as normal, but will most often not re-start untill i disconnect the battery for a few seconds. Ths will always happen within 100 miles or maybee 120 miles.I never have a code after re-start with OBD11 and Volvo dealer shows Vehicle speed sensor and wants to put in another ABS controler. We have replaced the controler three times with other rebuilts to prove this not to be the problem and continue with the same symptoms. The only message we see is transmition service required, Same as when the ABS controler went bad a year and a half ago. Brakes are in good shape, I have checked every ground I can think of and all plugs look good. We have resigned to just put up with the problem about every other day as the normal drive is approx 50 miles round trip. I dont want to just start replacing parts with no idea if they are bad or not.
Any one ???? uncletom

tech 05-02-2008 05:39 PM

RE: 99 S80 ABS or what

What are the ABS codes stored in the computer?
Is the speed sensor the only code that comes up?
When you are getting the modules are you 100% sure they are the correct ones?

uncletom 05-02-2008 06:35 PM

Thaks Tec. for getting back so soon. I have been with this problem so long I am no longer in a hurry. My wife is the primary driver and she even knows how to disconnect the battery if need be.
No codes are showing from my OBD11 and there is never a chack engine light after the car is re started. Last time Volvo in Bellingham checkd several months ago they showed (cant remember the code number) Vehicle speed signal missing. They sugjest a new ABS control unit and they know Mr. Roca rebuilt mine (a Bosh) and will keep looking if that is not it. I had mr Roca rebuild my unit aprox. a year and a half befor this and was fine for 11 months. After the messages returned, and now the Tac and Spedo also quit at the same time I sent the controler back to Mr Roca and he assured me there is not a problem with it. I was also able to try a rebuilt from form a rebuilder in Quebec Canada and they all do the same thing. I recently replaced a wheel sensor on the left front and was going to switch the used one to the right wheel if there was no improvment. Thought the wire might have been dammaged when a strut control rod let loose a while ago but there was no evedence of any damage to the wire. Had Volvo install a new Brake booster about two years ago and they were to bleed and replace all the brake fluid. I just flushed and bled all of the old (no it wasen't changed) fluid and the pedal now feels a little higher and the brakes work great but still same re occuring problem. The message center still has the (transmission service message on all the time) but it is the same message as was the first time the ABS controler went bad and the Dealer had to turn it off. The trans. works great and shifts fine. Hope this helps, and thanks again.
Tom

tech 05-02-2008 07:19 PM

Did MR. Roca rebuild yours or send you one that was rebuilt?
I am wondering if the wrong one is in the car.
You never get a pump motor code do you?

uncletom 05-02-2008 07:39 PM

No the unit rebuilt is the very one I sent him and is still the same one. As I mentioned the unit was working perfictly for 11 months. This is with the STC, and the other one I tried from Canada was for the same unit. And no I get no codes from my OBD11. The pump motors when powered up. I may take another trip to Bellingham and see if the dealer is able to find someting other than (vehicle speed signal missing). A three hour drive.

tech 05-02-2008 07:50 PM

I wish you had someone close that could read all the ABS info.
They would also be able to see if all the wheel sensors were working as well.
I would am curious to see what codes are in all the systems.
Because your scanner says there is no codes doesn't mean there isn't any.
The generic scanners will only read about half of the codes and thats it.

uncletom 05-02-2008 08:17 PM

I know the dealer is the only one that has the ability for all the codes and they are all great guys there but not too shure how much they know. One time I left the car overnight for a rough engine start so they could witness how bad it ran for the first few seconds when first started. I told them I suspected a bad brake booster as I could here a vaccume leak quite often and the replied they doubted this could cause a rough start problem. I should have made a bet with them.
Thanks for the replies, any more thoughts are always appreciated. I will try and get it back to them and will let you know of any more info. May be awhile. Maybe I will disconect the battery just before I get ther and trade up to a newer S80 but this one has most of the known problems already repared and updated and is a nice driving car.
Thanks again, Tom

tech 05-02-2008 08:19 PM

OK keep me posted.