Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   99 s80 T6 - Cooling Fan wont stop-Please Read ! (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/99-s80-t6-cooling-fan-wont-stop-please-read-22328/)

azokone 08-21-2008 08:31 PM

99 s80 T6 - Cooling Fan wont stop-Please Read !

Hi there,

I have just encountered my first Volvo problem and need some help.

Here are the facts:

I came out of work and the battery was dead - no juice.

Couldn't start car. Got a jump. Started Car.

Car is running, engine is cold, radiator cooling fan is running full blast.

Shut car off, re-connected fan, fan turns on immediately.

Left the fan disconnected, drove homw no problem. I got home, shut off the car, and checked for voltages at the connection located on top of the fan shroud (where I disconnected the fan).

The check engine light is not on.

The fan was replaced previously in the recall (metal not black fan unit etc...-no resistor inline that I can see).

There is no voltage at the connection which actually goes to the Fan Module.'

There is voltage from the other connector (+12v) whose wire (red&black) runs along the front of the vehicle, along to the drivers side, and the disappears into a molded box between the quarter panel and the air box.

I suspect the fan relay may be welded closed, keeping the fan on.

Therefore, where is the fan relay located?

Any other thoughts / comments regarding this? I have searched the forum already, with some results.

Get as technical as you like! Need to fix this asap..

Thanks much !!! :)

tech 08-21-2008 09:45 PM

RE: 99 s80 T6 - Cooling Fan wont stop-Please Read !

That is usually a bad fan. You will have power to the silver module the computer grounds to turn the fan on. Usually inside the silver box goes bad. Same problem with the older ones that caused the recall.

azokone 08-22-2008 06:04 AM

Awesome, thanks for your help.

I guess i'll just go get a new fan.

Is there any other troubleshooting I could peform before I shell out 300 bucks for a fan?

tech 08-22-2008 08:05 AM

Not really unless you have diag software to see if the computer is keeping the fan on. But 99% of the time it is the fan. 1% it would be coolant temp sensor. But that also affects the temp guage.

SkyWriter 08-22-2008 08:07 AM

there is a recall on the fan; you can get it swapped. mine died last month. it turned waaaaaay to slow.

tech 08-22-2008 08:13 AM

ORIGINAL: SkyWriter

there is a recall on the fan; you can get it swapped. mine died last month. it turned waaaaaay to slow.

Unless I read it wrong he stated in the first post it had already had the recall done. It is a newer fan that went bad. They would only replace it if it was replaced less than a year or 12k miles ago.

SkyWriter 08-22-2008 08:28 AM

ORIGINAL: tech
Unless I read it wrong he stated in the first post it had already had the recall done. It is a newer fan that went bad. They would only replace it if it was replaced less than a year or 12k miles ago.

quite so, i misread it, he did get the new fan. which oddly in my case wasn't the same housing; it was missing the ECU vent tube coupler/vent.

tech 08-22-2008 08:31 AM

Yes for some reason they did away with it. But that doesn't matter because the A/C is directed into the ECU box.

azokone 08-23-2008 07:58 AM

Thanks for your help. Got a new fan, put it in, and that problem went away !

tech 08-23-2008 08:09 AM

Glad all is fixed now.

richardengle 01-17-2022 10:42 PM

get a cheap fan from junkyard