Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Advice on wrecked S-80 T6 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/advice-wrecked-s-80-t6-70980/)

dantopia 05-16-2013 07:55 AM

Advice on wrecked S-80 T6

3 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone. I need some advice.
I bought a beautiful 2002 Volvo S-80 T6 with 106,000 miles on it.
The interior leather is in excellent condition, the motor runs strong, transmission smooth, paint and rims look great. Extremely happy with it.

Then a week before Christmas, I ran into the back of an SUV that slammed on its brakes. I had only driven the car a few months.

Luckily (I guess) is that the SUV hit above the bumper and did not do any damage to the frame, and the damage stopped before getting close to the motor.
I had a mobile mechanic look at it, and he said the suspension, motor, and frame look fine.
Everything else in the front is smashed pretty good.

My question is should I try and fix it since it is one of the nicest cars I've driven, or is it too far gone?

The rest of the car is in excellent shape. But I'm no mechanic, and have no connections to good body shops.

Anybody have any advice? I hate to get rid of the car at such a loss, but we don't have the money to fix it right. Wife says I have to make a decision now.

I'd rather trade her in rather than the Volvo.

Thanks for any help.

akabond 05-16-2013 03:43 PM

hmm just wondering did you guys exchange insurance info too?
From the pics it looks like not major structure damage is done. however i also see the front radiator is bent. But you said you did speak to the mechanic. Did you get a 2nd opinion just to make sure the 1st one is not ripping you off.
The decision is all upto you. We can only give suggestions
So my suggestion is depending on the damage repair cost if its not to much then i will get it fixed and keep the car since you have just recently purchased.
But keep in mind this is a Volvo so when replacing parts make sure some should be OEM otherwise you might get some (or many) problems like electrical or some engine noise or weird behavioural problems with the car in the future. AND make sure you go to a reputable body shop.
Thats all i can say and there is no need to trade your wife either. I am sure shes prolly mad @ ya for hitting that SUV (for whatever reason), But you just to work it out for the car and your wife :P

ES6T 05-16-2013 04:53 PM

Get a body shop to look at it, the damage is pretty bad.

dantopia 05-16-2013 05:13 PM

Thanks for the replies. The one mobile mechanic that looked at it said damage could be $2000 - $3000.

Its pretty discouraging. I've had some offers to buy it as is, but they were ridiculously low..

It's been in the garage now for months, I need to get over it and get rid of it.. its just sad.

Im going to go sit in it for a little while and think.. ;) Those newer S60's sure are nice....

ES6T 05-16-2013 05:37 PM

I'd bet it is well over $3000 in damage. That's why you need an actual body shop to check it out. A new radiator, condenser and intercooler is probably half of that alone.

dantopia 05-16-2013 06:00 PM

Damn. That's a lot of money.
I cant believe I did that. And if you haven't figured it out, I only had state required insurance.

Im gonna get rid of it and take it as a lesson learned the hard way.

Thanks for your help.

ES6T 05-16-2013 06:53 PM

Yeah, it sucks. I'm no body guy and even if I was, I'd have to take a closer look, but I'd bet the total is close to $8000, if not more.

akabond 05-16-2013 07:33 PM

aww mann..no more S80?? dont look @ the S60..get S80 if possible.

torontos80t62000 05-23-2013 09:09 PM

so sad and hard to read,,.....there are others out there 04's are suppose to be better... Time is money and money is time if you have both ...du it,,,,, fix it........ master it ....love it .....
...we all here for you!!!!!!