Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Air filter (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/air-filter-27094/)

robretpd 01-29-2009 01:12 PM

Air filter

Hi....need advise once again. My wife took our 2006 S80 AWD into dealer for oil change. They said the car needed an air filter. Not the cabin filter, they said the air filter cartridge. I assume it is the one in the engine compartment. They wanted like 100 dollars to change it. Is there anything special in the labor to change this filter? Thanks

TIPSP 01-29-2009 01:28 PM

$100?
I think the stock intake filters are supposed to be changed ~every 30k miles?
Go to autozone, and get a replacement filter (I dont know the number, but it should be in their books). then open your hood, and remove the cover on the intake box, and swap the filters. Close it all up and call it a day. For ~$50 you can get a K&N filter, which will be the last filter you put on the car, ever.

tech 01-29-2009 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by TIPSP (Post 141638)
$100?
I think the stock intake filters are supposed to be changed ~every 20k miles?
Go to autozone, and get a replacement filter (I dont know the number, but it should be in their books). then open your hood, and remove the cover on the intake box, and swap the filters. Close it all up and call it a day. For ~$50 you can get a K&N filter, which will be the last filter you put on the car, ever.

FYI it is every 30K.

robretpd 01-29-2009 02:35 PM

I previously had a 30K service on the car. They said I needed a service that is done every 7500. It was for $375. Included changing air filter, drain and refill brake fliuid and rotate tires. Also a bunch of checking things and lubricating things. When she asked about doing just the filter they wanted 100 and something, it was a little over 100.

TIPSP 01-29-2009 02:57 PM

OK tech.

Originally Posted by robretpd (Post 141651)
I previously had a 30K service on the car. They said I needed a service that is done every 7500. It was for $375. Included changing air filter, drain and refill brake fliuid and rotate tires. Also a bunch of checking things and lubricating things. When she asked about doing just the filter they wanted 100 and something, it was a little over 100.

Yeah. just change it yourself. it is not that hard.

nicolaselias 01-29-2009 04:33 PM

should you choose to purchase the K + N filter just be careful when "oiling" it.. there have been many many cases of too much oil being used which then really messes up things with the MAF sensor..

Honestly, unless you are planning to go for the "high performance" parts such as the K + N, i would just get a regular filter from a trusted brand.. I believe autozone has the filter in Beck/Arnley, K + N, STP and Fram.. the fram and stp are just under $20, the others well over $30..

I know that the genuine volvo filter is available on fcp groton for $22 or so which should also be a consideration...

Im not sure if you did the tyre rotation as yet, but the last time I did it, I think it cost me literally $10 at Meineke...
Also, I dont really agree with having to pay someone extra to check things... when I go to meineike or tuffy or any of these chains for an oil change or rotation they take a look at the fluids, belts, brakes and other essentials for free..

andrei3333 01-29-2009 06:56 PM

please dont allow yourself to get ripped off so easily, dont get K&N, there is no performance increase that you will notice, check out the independant test on bobistheoilguy.com

any paper filter will perform better at filtering contaminants than a k&n

its a do it yourself job, i never paid anyone to do it, you literally cannot screw this up, there are also pre-oiled paper filters outthere for like 5- 10 dollars more than average, no difference what so ever

just judge it yourself, take the filter out and put it towards the light and bend it a little, see how dark it really is, sometimes flipping the filter will make a difference too

on my other car the way the air box and the intake was situated only half the filter would get dirty ( 180 degrees front the inlet to the TB) so half way through the filters life you flip it and extend the change interval, its should be all self explanatory actually...

robretpd 01-30-2009 07:21 AM

I used to do most of this stuff myself and somehow just stopped. Anyway, when my wife was leaving the service advisor came over and said he had made a mistake and that the 100 dollars was for a cabin filter change and the air filter for the engine compartment was only 50. Still way to high for something that takes 5 minutes to change. Thanks.

Crito 01-30-2009 07:51 AM

Might be worth a K&N just because they don't need service for 50-100K miles. The labor savings alone more than makes up for any price difference. They actually don't filter as well when new though, which is why OEMs don't use them. They do breath better when old, however. Plus you'd be surprised how many idjuts can't close the S80 air box right. I'm thinking of putting a K&N sticker on the box with a regular filter inside just so the Quicky Oil and Lube guys will quit messing with it. :p

Somthngfrce 01-30-2009 06:35 PM

HOLY Cow!! man if that Filter is 100 bucks, then I am going to go sell Swamp Land here in FLA!

air force rascal 02-01-2009 06:24 AM

What ever you do..stay AWAY from JIFFY LUBE..they have messed up so many cars..you wouldn't believe...

Somthngfrce 02-01-2009 07:01 AM

Nothing against them, but why would you go to Jiffy Lube,etc....I would rather find an automotive mechanic and build history there so he/she knew what has been done with the car, whan can wait and what has to be done on it. Plus if something goes wrong, you don't have to start from scratch every time since that person knows the car...But that's just me..........

TIPSP 02-01-2009 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by air force rascal (Post 142037)
What ever you do..stay AWAY from JIFFY LUBE..they have messed up so many cars..you wouldn't believe...

+1
Me and my dad fix the cars now ;)