Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Another Sad Love Song (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/another-sad-love-song-9059/)

Ebolavoodoo 12-10-2006 06:09 PM

Another Sad Love Song

Welp, after fixing turbo oil return lines, oil pan gaskets, belts, brake booster, oil dip stick holder, front end creak, CD changer, and much more, a new problem has just arrived.

I was going down the highway at a steady 70mph and could see my exit about half mile down the road. I thought I'd give it hard gas to the exit. Well, she kinda pciks up and goes (loss orignial power potential months ago, sluggish) and when i hit about 85mph, the service emissions system and check engine light came on. The engine now stutters. It will still go the speed limit. Engine stutters/shakes at idle and hesistant to go but does not die. I know I shouldn't be doing 85mph, but thats a crawl compared to the cars that hit 120+ on the Autobahn. Heck my Ford Taurus SHO (Yamaha engine) hits 140+. Otherwise, I usually baby her, not beating it up to accelerate the already deteriorating car.

I looked up what could be wrong here and could be one of numerous things like ECM, ETM, MAF, O2 sensors, and maybe even a bad cylinder. All the jobs I stated above I've done myself in the 14 months I've had it, so I'm capable but not sure where to start as far as troubleshooting. I could pay the local independent dealer to diagnose it then I fix it myself. I see guys getting codes of their cars, but I lack a OBS reader.

Can some give me a quick lesson on difference of ECM and ETM. Where exactly is the MAF and its description (Ford's is big and silver)? Also, how many O2 sensors, their locations, and considered an easy job to replace (easy to access, rusted/burned on)?
Finally, am I missing anything? What's a decent price/model for a OBS reader?

Thank you so much! The price of fixing all the jobs on this car (including my labor time) could have paid for several Playstation 3's, iPod video, nice desktop 22" monitor, weekend getaway, drinks on me for all my friend at a bar for a whole week, and...well you get the point. Is there ever going to be an end to repairing this 1999 Volov S80 T6 luxury sedan. ;)

Thank you all in advance! Don't hesitate to get into great details about what I must do to bring back the beast!

tech 12-10-2006 11:06 PM

RE: Another Sad Love Song

The best thing is to get the Scanner/ Codes read so we can help you from there.

Ebolavoodoo 12-12-2006 02:38 PM

RE: Another Sad Love Song

Took it in to local independent repair shop and got the following codes:
ECM-3503 ECM-3553 ECM-3502 ECM-3552
Defective ignition coil #5 and spark plug

I paid the $120 diagnostic fee and bought/installed parts myself.
She runs like a champ!
Got very lucky on this one....not a bad #5 cylinder or anything like that