Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Audio Installation Help (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/audio-installation-help-5813/)

cracker_j 05-15-2006 12:00 AM

Audio Installation Help

I recently Bought a 99 s80 T6 . And frankly you guys have me ****less with all the comlaints. Are there any people out there that drive these cars for like
200 000 miles without major problems or are they all junk.

Also i was wondering how do i install aftermarket amp and sub while keeping my stock cd player. Thanks in advance

tech 05-15-2006 12:12 AM

RE: Audio Installation Help

For the Subs and Amp tap into the Rear speaker wire and install a conversion box to convert to RCA.

cracker_j 05-15-2006 12:44 AM

please boost my confidence in my car a little bit. Are there any decent 99 s80 t6 out there. I hope there is and they are not all junk.

also whats a conversion box?

poopbunny 05-15-2006 08:26 AM

If you keep the car well serviced, well maintained and all fluids (inc gearbox) regularly changed, ETM issues aside, there is no reason why the car would not be as reliable as the average European car.

tech 05-15-2006 09:35 AM

Yes there is some good ones out there. Just like poopbunny said keep all fluids clean and topped up and you should be fine.

JPizano23 05-15-2006 12:19 PM

for a conversion box go to your nearest audio store, they should have them there. There are some that are pretty simple for about 20 bucks, now if you'd like to control the amount of Bass you're going to have there are some w/a knob, they run you about fifty. Tap into the rear speakers like the instructions tell you. Now for the Amp's remote wire, I'm not sure where you can tap into an energy source, for most (other than european) you can tap into the power wire (using a current tester) find out which one only has power when the key is turned. Ask the tech to see if this is how you can tap into an S80's power source w/out it completely devatatin the car. About their reliability, they are great cars when they want to be. They are very high maintenance though, I guess Volvo figured if you can afford the payment, you can afford the repairs.

gordon368 05-16-2006 06:18 PM

I just got a 1000/1 jl mono block amp, 300/4 jl amp, Mb quart Q components, 2 10w7's a cap, and a custom made box...All Dynamatted
I guess the Tweeter has to be broken off according to the tweeter company and the speakers have to be rebuilt for proper mounting. When I looked inside of the door, the Speaker would not come out....they like riveted in there....Everything else went smootly...I put this setup in my 2001 s80 t6

cracker_j 05-16-2006 09:34 PM

got the converted box today.

Everything seems good just wondering tho what is the best remote wire to use thats easily accessible in the truck.

maybe tail lights?

or something. Please help

master_pre 05-21-2006 09:45 PM

Tail lights would work, but I wouldn't want to mess with the factory wiring too much. You could run a rocker or toggle switch, or even an in-line power switch coming off of the battery.

Ebolavoodoo 06-10-2006 05:18 AM

Thanks for the info on Sub/Amp install. As far as problem-free volvos go...yeah right. My car is treated magnificently ....yet turbo oil return lines leaked ($550), brake booster leaked ($240), bad sway bar linkages (depressing to list costs from here on out), suspension bushings (yadayada), weather stripping deterioration, multi-disc CD jammed, rear-view mirror broke (liquid pooling in it), bad idle (fixed with software upgrade), and minor oil leak. And this was from a car that was pampered. Just cause you keep up on maintenance, does immune your volvo from defects. When it works, its great. The big thing is WHEN...lol

gordon368 06-11-2006 04:19 AM

i just traded in my 10w7's people AND i got a 13w7 its sO Insanely loud.......