Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Battery Problems? (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/battery-problems-15068/)

starladog@yahoo.com 11-13-2007 08:52 AM

Battery Problems?

I recently started a post with issues on my Airbag Warning message and problems with my car starting. It was recommended that I install a new battery which I did. I drive a 2000 S80 T6. Everything has been fine (it has been appx. 3 months) until now. I was detailing my car the other day and had the CD player playing. Well I ran the battery down and now my Airbag Warning message is on again, but that is not the problem I know I will have to get that reset because I did last time. The car has started making the clicking sound it was making before when it wouldn't crank, it is starting but it will click a couple of times first. Also, my clock will not hold the time anymore and that was how it all started last time when I needed a battery. I was wondering if the problem might be the battery installed. My independent Volvo repairman said to buy an Interstate battery and we couldn't locate one in the small town I live in so I bought the O'Reilly brand which fit my car since we were going on a trip andI needed it right away. I know Volvos don't do well with low battery voltage, so could my problem be the off-brand of battery I bought or something else?

master_pre 11-13-2007 09:57 AM

RE: Battery Problems?

It could be the battery, but that's unlikely since it's so new. The best thing to do would be to bring your car to the dealership so they can diagnose the issue for you. The diagnostic should be free, and it will let you know exactly what's wrong. If I was gonna venture a guess, it'd be that the alternator is going bad or that your battery is garbage. It's possible that the battery is supplying the constant voltage needed by your car, remember these S80's are power hungry beasts! ;)

tech 11-13-2007 05:48 PM

These cars have about 20 computers in them.
So listening to the radio while cleaning is not reccomended because the battery will die very easy.
Did you recharge the battery?

starladog@yahoo.com 11-13-2007 06:33 PM

I just jumped the car off. If you will excuse my stupidity, what is recharging the battery? I think I have learned my lesson about playing the stereo while cleaning.

jks2 11-13-2007 07:22 PM

Re charging is when you put the battery on a battery charger which uses electricity to re charge the cells in the battery, as opposed to a jump where you are supplying a large amount of energy at one time to allow the battery start the car. Once its started the alternator will recharge the battery.

starladog@yahoo.com 11-13-2007 07:26 PM

Thanks, I guess I recharged it then because I have been driving it for appx. 3 weeks since I ran it down. It has just started doing the clicking and clock thing.

tech 11-13-2007 10:25 PM

The Alternator might not be putting out enough Amps and volts to keep it charged enough.
Am I correct to assume you make alot of short trips?

starladog@yahoo.com 11-14-2007 07:38 AM

Yes, I drive appx. 10 miles to work and back everyday and that is usually all except for short trips from my office to the grocery store and such. Should I have my repairman check it out or just wait and see what happens? Also, if you don't mind my asking appx. how much is an alternator job for this car? Thanks so much for your help, this is my first Volvo and this site has been wonderful.

tech 11-14-2007 06:38 PM

Usually you can just replace the brush pack (Voltage regulator and it will fix it) Should be around $70.00 or so I believe.
Do you have a volt meter?

starladog@yahoo.com 11-14-2007 07:52 PM

My husband does. So we can check that ourselves?

tripleb 11-14-2007 09:56 PM

Like Tech said, these cars have a bunch of computers in them, and you simply cannot leave the key on for long without draining the battery.

However if you've been driving it for three weeks, it should be charged.

I've never heard of an O'reilly battery, but it sounds like it may be bad. Did it just get cold when the problem started? Cold weather will let you know when your battery is going bad! Volvo, or Interstate is the way to go.

B

EuroDriverSD 11-15-2007 12:36 PM

Hello and welcome to the money-pit-S80 ownership club. I have read in some forums that some of the S80's have a problem with a ground cable from the battery getting pinched and causing constant or intermittent battery drain. Do a search on the forum or in other S80 forums for information on this, and bring it up to your dealer. Either that, or you bought a defective battery, which should be under warranty. There's also the possiblity that the battery you bought may not have enough amps for your car to function properly.

tech 11-15-2007 08:27 PM

Yes see how much the Alt is charging.
You need to be charging atleast 13.50 or higher.

starladog@yahoo.com 11-19-2007 08:36 AM

It has been about a week and I have had no more problems. Can't decide if this is a good thing or a bad thing. (probably bad) I am just going to wait and see what happens. Do have another question though, is it normal for this particular car (2000 S80 T6) to have a list of things to fix everytime you visit your repair shop? It is almost comical (or would be if not so expensive) that everytime I get something fixed I get a list of items on my invoice that need fixed also. Funny thing is I still LOVE this car!

tech 11-19-2007 05:46 PM

It depends on alot of things.
Driving
How well taken care of.
ETC
Some cars need work and others don't.

simon23572 12-06-2007 01:36 PM

RE: Battery drain Problems?

hi there
i have a 2001 V40 1.8s and during winter cold months the battety on my car keeps draining and wont start during the summer it works fine it has had 4 good batteries in the last 3 years so i dont believe its the battery but something on the car that is draining it when its stood idle
please help with any possible ideas

regards

master_pre 12-07-2007 10:50 AM

Cold weather can put a hurting on a battery. It's important to ensure that your battery has a good Cold Cranking Amp's rating for exactly what you are describing. 4 batteries in 3 years is a LOT of batteries, so it may not be getting the recharge it needs from the alternator.

What's the Cold Cranking Amps rating on your battery? How cold does it get during the winter were you live? You can also run some of the troubleshooting techniques posted earlier on this thread to helptroubleshoot.

tenchu 03-16-2008 08:05 PM

I get the same problem, but much sooner. The clicking noise as described, but simply from leaving my door open and key pos 3 (key on engine off) for a few min to read diag code. Ever since then, the battery will die if i leave the door open for more than a few seconds, but if i jump it, i wont have the problem again till i leave the door open again. Probobly my battery, or alt?

starladog@yahoo.com 03-17-2008 09:47 AM

Just an update on my previous battery problem. It has been 4 months now and the car has done just great. This is with the O'Reilly battery so I have been pleased. I will buy Interstate next time I guess just because that is what everyone recommends, but the O'Reilly has done just fine. My SRS Airbag light is still on, but I have realized that anytime the battery runs down this warning message comes on. I am taking the car to my independent Volvo mechanic this week or next for something else and will have it reset then.

starladog@yahoo.com 03-17-2008 09:54 AM

In reply to Tenchu;

Have you replaced your battery yet, because that solved all of my problems.